Sunday, April 6, 2014

250th Post-Our Royal Family (wink, wink)

Proud Father and Young Queen
Royal "Sisters"/Cousins
4-6-14

    Well, I’m a bit tired and wired as I write this.  We had a late night last night, staying up well past the time we’re usually asleep to drive to Farmington and see the crowning of Aztec High School’s Homecoming royalty.  The wired part is coming from the coffee I just bought from Durango Joe’s here in Aztec.  The only reason I bought the coffee was because I inadvertently left my phone at my school after just working there for a couple of hours.  I left my phone there because I was tired, so I chose its retrieval as an excuse to go get some coffee, too.
    Well, it’s official.  We are a royal family.  I’ll do my best to stay humble (not that it’s really a big deal, but it is kind of a big deal, and I am being a bit facetious here, too), but we have a son who was Prom king two years ago, and after last night’s announcement, we have a daughter who is now the Prom queen.  Her ”sister”/cousin Becca was also part of the royal crowd last night. 
    They looked gorgeous, and I am biased.  They are also hardworking, involved, and generous and selfless with their time, since they are both working for the after-school program at my school, McCoy.  They are also both headed to college in the fall. 
    Belinda and I were talking about it all, of course, on the way home.  I told her that I thought it was a tad creepy for us to be there at a high school dance, but Belinda insisted that it was not.  She missed out on one crowning with her boy, so she would not miss out on a possible crowning for one of her girls (Becca is like our daughter).  When she said that, I had an epiphany/thought.  I realized that I had survived my brain surgery to be able to be there and witness it.  Okay, not so creepy after all.

No comments: