Monday, May 12, 2014

26th Excerpt From My Original Golf Diary

     In this excerpt, I start with a birdie I had earned way back in June approximately 13 years ago with Guy, Annmarie, and Daryl.  I also take Danielle (and her special guest) and James to the "new" 18 hole Hidden Valley Golf Course where I played steadily, yet poorly, with James and hot and cold with Danielle.  A week from today, Danielle will be graduating from high school.  James returns home tomorrow night after his second year in college.  Sigh.  

Written on 6-13-01.

Foothills Golf Course-Executive Nine, Hole #2
 
 

    Guy and I had just made par on the very first hole.  That was...
pretty neat.  The second hole was a par three.  I used my new Thomas Golf 8-iron.  I hit it onto the fringe of the green, above the hole a little, and about twenty feet or so away.  The putt would move left to right, I knew.  I went with that first instinct, and it worked!  It went in for my second birdie of the year 2001!  Guy, AM, and Daryl, were the witnesses!  Still always nice to have witnesses, especially after the first birdie of this year.

    I just got my invitation to Jeff’s Third Annual Golf Tournament.  This time it will be at Thorncreek Golf Course in Thornton, Colorado.  I am going and so is Guy (unfortunately, he did not get to come), and I think Curt is too.  It will be fun if we will all be on the same team.  I felt bad missing this tournament last year, so I am really excited to go this year.  These annual tournaments with Jeff are my marks for improvement in a way.  I will have played (played more seriously about having more fun!) for two years for this coming tournament.
  
Written on 6-14-01.
 

    I have played twice recently at the new Hidden Valley Course here in town, once with James and once with Danielle.  They both liked coming with me, and I sure liked having them come along.  They like riding in the cart the most.  Danielle also brought a friend, her ballerina doll with her.  I played very steadily with James, shooting a 99, 50 on the front nine and 49 on the back.  I had only two pars that round.  One came on the fourth hole, the par three with the narrow middle.  I hit my 8-iron, and it came up short on a hill just above the green.  I then used my sand wedge for a nifty chip to about three feet above the hole.  I rolled it in for par.  I was proud because I had not earned anything near par on that hole before.  I also earned par on hole #13, a par four.  I scuffed my drive with my 5-iron, intended to be a lay-up shot for this hole because you have to go over this large canyon that will eventually be filled with water, I think.  So, instead of hitting my pitching wedge or gap wedge over the canyon, I had to use my 5-iron again to send it over.  It worked, and I got up and down for my par. 
    With Danielle, I played hot and cold, or rather cold and then hot.  I shot a miserable, “Murphy’s Law style” 58 on the front nine.  I don’t know how many balls I lost, but it was a lot.  I am choosing not to really remember that round.  On the back nine, however, I am choosing to remember. I shot my best nine hole, regulation golf course score, a 43!  I had four pars, three bogeys, and, well… some higher scores.  You can do the math.
     I am continuing to complete my golf set.  B says it will never end, and I disagreed with her at first.  Now, I am eating my words.  I still have to get and actually already ordered a long-range attack iron from Bob Toski through Edwin Watts.  I now have my Mizuno driver from Christmas.  I ordered a 3-wood and a 5 wood from golfsmith.com.  They are Taylor Made, Super Steel and I really like them.  I, of course, have my entire set of irons from Thomas Golf 3-pw, including a gap wedge, all with the aim and alignment technology, their main selling point.  

    By the way, their customer service is superb!  I have been very satisfied.  I also just talked to Mike Stark today and ordered a new sand wedge from him.  I chose a gunmetal black color to match the set I helped Guy pick out when I was out in Virginia to visit and play golf with him.  The other older sand wedge I have, Eric gave to me, and it’s pretty beat up.  One more thing I ordered was Kallassy’s Magic Swing Trainer, literally the first training aid I have ever bought.  I plan to use it extensively to help me groove a repeatable swing (I haven’t used it very much really 5-27-02).

No comments: