Friday, May 30, 2014

Three Birdies on Memorial Day

    I’m sitting on the new furniture in the living room.  Ah, it’s summer again.  James’s girlfriend Amanda is here along with their friend Justin.  B is off to Farmington to take Jess on an errand.  Jess fell and hurt her elbow, so B is helping her out.  Jess is okay.  She mostly just hurt her right elbow and hip.  Danielle is at work; she is doing C.P.R. training today for her new Y.C.C. job.  I find myself with another opportunity to write in the month of May, so I’m taking it. 
    As I stated in my previous post, I helped out our newly assembled team on Memorial Day with three new birdies.  Not a shabby way to start the summer.  Here they are...

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #14-Birdie #13 of 2014


    My drive went well to the left, a straight line drive pull to the #7 fairway.  My ball could be heard whapping a few leaves on its way over.  From there, I chose the 7-iron, but I was a bit afraid that...

it might be too much club; the flag was on the top right side this time.  My ball headed to the right side of the green, a straight push this time.  It ended up even with the hole, but I was off the green, and I had a difficult pitch. It was this pitch that was the best shot for this birdie.
    I was above the hole, up on the hill over there.  I had very little green to work with, the hill, and the small valley/ditch just before the green past the hill.  Not an easy shot at all, and my hope was to get it on the green even if that meant my ball would go down into the bowl.  My ball landed just past the little grass valley/ditch, though, and it popped up in the air about three feet causing its forward momentum to mostly stop.  It bounced onto the green and stopped about five feet from the hole.  Even with the raggedy greens, I was able to make this putt...somehow.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #18-Birdie #14 of 2014

    I aimed for #3, but I missed.  Instead, I hit a high fade/slice that landed on the fairway I was supposed to be aiming for.  From there, I chose my 5-iron after a debate in my mind about which club to choose.  I chose correctly, but it was not a great swing; it came out low with my thin contact.  It hit the hill below the green, but it continued to fly and then roll up onto the green.  My words of encouragement must have helped. 
    My ball was barely on the green.  It had rolled back to the very edge on the left side and stopped between two tufts of grass.  They were interfering with my putter swing enough that I considered hitting the equator of my ball to get it rolling without interference.  Then I reconsidered and played it like a normal putt.  Cameron said that it popped up in the air right after contact, though.  I wanted to make sure I got it up next to the hole and with the greens the way they were and the uphill, I gave it plenty of juice.  It stopped next to the hole about four inches away for an easy tap-in birdie.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #11-Birdie #15 of 2014-The Temporary Green Birdie

    It looks like they are taking the hill out of the green on #11, so it’s being completely redone.  Right now, it just flat and beige and sandy.  To keep play going, though, they mowed a small bedroom sized temporary green just to the right and short of the original.  It seems unfair; the guys in our group were grumbling about it, but just like the terrible greens on the rest of the course, it’s the same for every competitor, so I don’t see the need to gripe.  It’s just not what I am used to.
    I attempted to drive the green like I always do.  In its new location, it’s even closer for my drives.  My ball was on course, but it caught the top of the farthest cottonwoods, so I wasn’t sure where it would end up.  It turned out just fine, though.  My ball was only 30 yards away.  Pitching was not easy here either.  The green is five paces or less from front to back, and the grass around it was tall and thick.  Even when my ball hit that taller grass, it could not be slowed down enough to hold this tiny temporary green.  It rolled off the back.  I chose to putt from there; the grass was not as thick on the backside.  My ball rolled through the taller grass, entered the “green,” and rolled towards the hole.  As it slowed, it went around to the front of the hole, where it turned even more and ended up going into the hole on the right side.  It nearly went 360° to get into the hole before it stopped and rested against the flagstick.  I’ll say it went around 270° for a rare birdie.  I bet I was the only one who got a birdie on this hole for the tournament.

    There.  I am all caught up with my birdies, and I was somehow able to get in four posts during the busy month of May.  Next, I’ll be playing in a tournament with C.J. and the Dingwall boys tomorrow.  It’s a fundraiser for the basketball team, and it’s a scramble. 

Until next time...

No comments: