Thursday, June 11, 2015

A Rare Treat

Written on 6-6-15.

    This is a rare treat.  I am sitting on Guy and Annmarie’s back patio, under their large pale green umbrella.  Guy is inside starting dinner.  Belinda is on the opposite end of the corner shaped couch I am also sitting on.  Wait, she just got up; she has left to go help Guy with dinner.  To my right, out on the lawn on their oversized hammock, ShyShay and Annmarie rock ever so gently to and fro, as easily as the treetops that are swaying back and forth with the mellow breezes above us.  Above those treetops, an unidentified bird rides the wind, coasting out of view in an instant.
    I have just completed my Level 1 training as a First Tee Golf Coach in Baltimore.  It was a laid back, entertaining, busy, activity-filled, and motivating three days.  We enjoyed a pleasant mixture of sitting down to learn from presentations and getting out to observe or take part in actual lessons. 
    This morning, I took the lead with our Blue Group’s lesson on courtesy and targets and alignment, and it all went swimmingly.  We got some extremely positive feedback from the group that observed us and from the trainers/coaches themselves. 
    I can do this.  I was in my element, and I am in my element as a First Tee coach.  The teacher in me was shining through brightly.  I look forward to conducting my own sessions and lessons back in Aztec.  The First Tee is right for me, because it involves golf, my favorite sport, and I’ll be helping children to learn values and golf skills.
    My right foot is soaking in some soapy water.  I cut my big toe’s toenail a bit too short the other day, and it feels like an ingrown toenail is beginning.  Then I just stubbed/scraped the pad just below that same big toe when stepping up to Guy’s wooden deck.  Ouch!  I pray the toenail corrects itself quickly and doesn’t get infected.  The goal and hope is to play golf while I am here, of course.  I was just tortured for three days watching other people play a gorgeous golf course, Pine Ridge, while I attended my training.
    Oh, and this is the first trip EVER for Belinda and me as we begin our new adventure as “retirees.”  I use quotation marks because we have not really retired; it’s more of a rewirement, Guy’s term and a term I really like to use to define where we are now and what we are doing.  We are not retiring form working, only from public education in Aztec.

No comments: