Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Birdies Officially Entered Now

Let’s get these birdies in here officially.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #18-Birdie #17 of 2016

     I had to get an eagle to tie Rob (still not his real name) for our G.I.R. game.  We have been perfecting this game as we’ve gone along, making slight but necessary changes.  C.J. and I had a misunderstanding about what happens when one of us hits a green in regulation.  I thought that if we triple-putted (or worse), we would subtract a point from out total score.  That would really punish us for not using up one or two points.  He thought that hitting a green should guarantee a point, and that the only point that would be “lost” would be for not finishing up with one or two putts.  We are now on the same page, and I agree with C.J.  
     My eagle attempt came really close to...
going in.  My driver put my ball in another really great position from #3’s fairway.  The 8-iron got the call for the approach, and my distance was right, but my accuracy not so much.  I was left and just off the green, but that was the same side the hole was cut.  I putted from off the green, and my ball was heading right for the hole before it sadly slowed and turned, settling less than a foot below it and to the left.  My birdie got me closer to Rob’s score, but he was the winner this time.  We tied with our stroke play scores of 87, but that was not the game this time.  The final scores were Rob, 17, Pat, 15, and C.J. 12.  
     I found out what a competitor Rob was when I walked past him in the parking lot.  He said we were now tied after our two rounds together, so the next match would determine the better golfer, or something like that.  Thankfully, I was the one who won that next match.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #9-Birdie #18 of 2016

     This was the “rubber match” between Rob and me I just mentioned, and he was winning again when we got to this, our last hole.  We had started on the back nine to avoid a traffic jam.  It was the same G.I.R. game again, too.  After hole #7, the scores were Pat, 12, C.J., 8 and Rob, 13.  If I got a par from off the green, that would be a tie, but that’s only if he didn’t score any points.  If he got a par and I earned a birdie, we would have tied.  I needed a par or a birdie after hitting the green in regulation, and Rob had to “help” me by not scoring any points at all.  
     That’s mostly how it happened.  My drive headed for #12, and it landed behind the teeing ground there in an advantageous spot for going for the green on #9.  If O.B. would have been in play, I still would have been safe.  I chose my 6-iron for the approach, and this was the best shot of this birdie.  It felt like a step-through shot because I really transferred my weight to my left side, and I did take a small step as I watched my ball sail over the trees and head for the green.  The flag was on the left side, near the middle of the green.  My ball hit the green, and according to C.J., rolled just past the hole.  My eagle putt was a downhill, left to righter that stopped even with the hole, not exactly the most courageous putt for an eagle I’ve ever attempted.  The last putt was a straight three-footer, and it guaranteed my win as Rob scored no paints at all.  C.J. got a well-deserved par, so the final scores were Pat, 15, C.J. 10, and Rick, 13.  I had come back to win on the very last hole, definitely one worth remembering for building confidence!

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #1-Birdie #19 of 2016

     This birdie took place a week ago when the weather was better.  This week, C.J. and I didn’t play on Wednesday because he had a physical.  Today, we didn’t play because the weather was pretty yucky.  It’s just been cold and breezy mostly, and not great for playing golf.
     We played the Reverse Handicap Game with Rob this time, and we included all the bonuses.  He did not finish with us, though, stating he was spent after walking nine holes.  He is not used to walking, but we are happy that we have converted him.  Walking really is the best way to play golf, in my opinion.
I got the very first bonus with the longest drive in the fairway, a high fade that landed short of the cottonwood and slightly to the right side.  From there, a low 5-iron curved around the tree and actually hit the green.  I had to putt from the front right side of the green to the second tier where the hole location was close to the ridge that goes through the middle of the green.  My ball stopped to the right side of the hole, and the remaining putt was a straight four-footer.

     I ended up winning most of the money, and shooting an 82 really helped.  I’ve shot two 40s on the front nine recently, and that has really helped my score, but I haven’t followed up with a great score on the back like I know I am capable of shooting.  I should shoot in the thirties on the back every time.

No comments: