Monday, May 30, 2016

Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day!

These birdie accounts have me all caught up for the month of May.  C.J., Bruce, and I played yesterday, but I played so terribly that all birdies eluded me.  

Written on 5-22-16.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #6-Birdie #22 of 2016

     This is Eric’s sponsorship hole for Big-O, so this is a fun hole to get a birdie.  The flag was on the right side on the upper tier, a very tough location because it’s difficult to get a ball to stop on that thin strip up there.  The wind was blowing in our faces, so I clubbed up to my 8-iron.  If there wasn’t any wind, I would have chosen my 9-iron.  I haven’t birdied this hole in a while, just like the previous two, and these were all par threes, too, which makes these three birdies even more special.  
     My ball landed just short of the hole and stopped around six feet away.  This putt surprised me because I thought I was going to miss it on the left side, but for the last five inches it suddenly turned right and dropped in.  C.J. had given me a read with his putt for bogey just moments before, but I thought I was going to miss on that left side.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #14-Birdie #23 of 2016

     C.J. and I were playing the G.I.R. Game, one of our recent favorites.  This hole helped me take a bigger lead.  When we were done on the front nine, I was only up by...
one point after hole #6’s birdie.  It was getting gusty on the back nine, which was weird because it was still before noon.  My tee shot was a fade that held the wind, stopping after getting pushed over to the right side of the fairway.  One of the groundskeepers was riding a lawn mower near my ball, so when we got up there I thanked him for not mowing over my ball.  He laughed.  Then he parked his mower just off the fairway to the right, a gallery of one for my approach shot.  I made a smooth swing with my 7-iron, and it went right where I was hoping it would go.  It took a while to discover where it was because it was past the hill that is right and short of the green.  I could use my putter to go for the eagle shot, but I barely got it rolling onto the green.  I was thankful I got my second putt to go in, but it did roll straight in from eight feet.  The hole was cut on the top right side of the green for this round.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #18-Birdie #24 of 2016


     This last birdie helped me earn a 37 on the back nine with four bogeys and two birdies.  A group had just teed off on #3, so I was forced to play #18’s fairway.  It flew over the hills on the right side that are just past the ladies’ tees.  I was worried it might have been too far to the right and too long, but it was on the fairway with a framed view of the flag.  Phew!  When I lined up my approach with my 6-iron, I was negatively thinking don’t go toward those trees on the right side, but that’s what I did anyway. 
     Thankfully, it was so well struck that it flew over those trees and stopped on the fringe of the green on the back right side.  My putt was downhill all the way.  I barely touched it, and it took its time, but it stopped just next to the hole for an easy tap-in.

No comments: