Tuesday, January 31, 2017

New Year, New Journal, and I'm 50!

1-31-17

     Welcome to yet another golf journal/golf diary!  The saga continues…and continues.
     B and I are lounging in our living room/refuge.  We are sharing the larger couch, she at the end near our gas fireplace and I near the end table with the larger lamp.  Ah, life is good.  No, life is great!  
     It’s fair and honest to say we are better adapted to our new lifestyle as a “rewired” couple (less Bi-polar Express), this being our second school year out of teaching for the public schools.  B is subbing now, and she actually just finished a stint yesterday subbing for Amanda for a month as the enrichment teacher for both McCoy and Lydia Rippey.  I’ve continued with my...
consulting, improving and expanding as I go along.  My waist line has expanded, too, but that’s gotten a bit more under control.  With meal reimbursements, I kind of went a little crazy buying and eating way too much for my first few business trips, but I could never keep up that pace, so it’s tapered significantly.
     I’m 50 years and two days old now.  We celebrated my birthday on Sunday, and it was great, just great.  I chose to go and see the movie La La Land, and we took Jess and Craig along on what we jokingly and lovingly call a geriatric field trip, our nickname for these movie dates, especially when including Craig.       Sadly, he is losing his memory and having some related issues.  He’s at the stage where he knows it’s beginning to slip away.  Taking these trips helps give Dori a break, and he enjoys getting out and watching movies.  This is the third one we have done.  
     I believe I am the only one who appreciated the movie, although I would honestly only want to see it once.  The others were not as impressed.  When it was over, B chose to love and have Red Lobster for dinner.  After that, we splurged on Cold Stone.  Yummy!
     On the way out of the theater, Craig was shuffling along in front of Belinda and me.  A lady and her husband were just behind me, and the husband said, “Come on, people!”
     I turned and said to the wife, “I’m sorry, but we are with an older person here.  Would you like to pass?”
     She was embarrassed by her husband, though, and declined.  Belinda thought it was masterful, and she was most pleased with how I handled it.  You never know what might impress your woman until it happens.  I was glad that she was so pleased with what I said.
     Now that I’ve turned 50, I understand even better that we are all headed in that direction.  It won’t be long until I’m the one shuffling along slowly and holding up the crowd.  Until then, I’ll continue to play as much golf as possible.  Speaking of golf, let’s get to it.

On to golf…

     Bruce and I have played once already this year.  C.J. was out of town, so Bruce asked if I wanted to meet him at Hidden Valley.  The environment was surreal.  We played on Wednesday, the 18th, and it was a foggy morning.  He agreed to play earlier than he wanted, because I had an appointment that afternoon.  It was cold (low 30’s), but it was bearable, and it got warmer as we went along.  The fog was thick enough that we felt like we were in our own bubble for each hole.  The atmosphere was serene, too, due to the fact that we were the only two people on the course.    
     We chose the Reverse Handicap game, and it was close.  Bruce started with the first eagle of the season, so C.J. and I both owe him the agreed upon $5.00 each.  It figures that Bruce would continue his great play from the end of 2016 with the first eagle…on the first hole…during the first round of the year.  His second shot ended up just off the green on the back right side, and that’s where the hole was.  That’s where he pitched it in for his eagle.  Ho hum.  Another year, another eagle.  It was amazing!
     So, he won the first 14 points.  I won the next hole with a par to his bogey, but after he hit his tee shot into the ditch, he nearly holed out again for his par and a tied score with another awesome pitch that turned left at the very last moment to stop less than an inch from the hole.  We stunk up hole #3 with doubles, so the points pushed to #4 where I won with another par.  I was ahead 22 to 14 at that point.
     He won hole #5 with a par, so he took the lead 30 to 24.  We tied with pars on #6.  I told you it was a close match.  Thankfully, he missed his bid for par on hole #7, and I was able to make a fairly long putt (12 to 15 feet) for my par to seal the deal for the match.  I got 24 points for that hole and the points that were pushed from hole #6, and those were enough to put it out of reach.  We chose to just keep it going for the last two holes, though, and I managed to win those with a par to his bogey on hole #9.  He played on after I left.  
     I didn’t want to leave, but I did have a fun appointment.  I was going on what was the second geriatric field trip with Craig to go see Rogue One.  The first one was the worst, in my opinion, Manchester by the Sea.  So depressing.  So boring.  Out of the three movies I’ve seen with Craig now, Star Wars: Rogue One, although it was my fourth viewing, was definitely the best one.


Until next time…

No comments: