Sunday, April 23, 2017

On 4/20, This Is How I Get High

Written on 4-20-17.
     I am not lost on the whole “420” thing, but I have not once in my life tried marijuana.  No desire.  And, to be honest, no offers.  Also, with my view tonight from the back of Casita #16 at the Abiquiu Inn, who needs Mary Jane (isn’t that one its nicknames?) when I can get high off this fresh air and my incredible view?  I am sitting in the screened-in porch, and this is what I see.
     First, I’m sitting at a rustic metal-topped Corona Extra table, nicked mostly around the perimeter, and it has high, firetruck red legs.  I’m on a bar stool, one of four, and they all have worn beige leather seats with low backs.  I look through the screens, and my breath isn’t taken away; rather, it’s calm…slowed.  
     I see clouds with gray tops and pink bottoms, and they fill the sky.  I see New Mexico mountains and hills peppered with sagebrush and other native bushes and trees.  In one of my picture frame window panes, I see three horses.  In another, I see two more, and in a third I see two side by side and one other just barely visible, hiding among the trees.  I hear occasional satisfied whinnies.  The horses are a mix of pale white, cocoa brown, and/or coffee with cream colors.  Gorgeous.  All are happily roaming and feeding.  
     A small pond is directly in my view, just a pitch away and straight out the back door, and it’s reflecting the clouds, the lone tall tree on its far side, and the taller reeds and grasses that grow around it like a dwarf’s beard surrounding a pudgy face.  

     As dusk continues, the clouds trade in their gray tops for white ones and their pink bottoms for gray ones, like they’re changing into their pajamas, and I see bats beginning to loop around as they begin their nightly feedings.  Wow!  I’m here on business, but sometimes my mind gets seriously tricked into thinking this is a vacation.  What a blessing!  Grateful and happy, that’s how I feel in this moment.

No comments: