Friday, June 30, 2017

I'm Now a Spoiled/Lucky/Blessed Six Year Old

Written on 6-28-17.

     It sure is fun to type that date.  It means that I’m still alive, and it also means it’s my “other” birthday again today!  It’s just like Sia when she sings, “I’m still breathing.  I’m still breathing.  I’m still breathing.  I’m still breathing. I’m ALIVE!”
     I’m six years old now, and it’s been a continuous counting of blessings for me.  For example, I celebrated (more than a few times) my real birthday, my 50th birthday, back in January.  It started three months before the actual date with a surprise party at Beau Jo’s Pizza with family and friends and ended in Phoenix with my siblings, my niece Emily (who turned 21 the day before my birthday), and Belinda with an escape room, a professional golf tournament, and 18 holes with Guy at Papago. 
    One of the biggest blessings, by far, this past year was our trip to see James in New Zealand at the end of May and the beginning of June.  We did many touristy things, no doubt, but I can say with confidence that the best moments came when we were all “stuck” together in a Jucy rental car or a small hotel room.  We cherished getting our “Core Four” back together again, possibly for the last time before James or Danielle might possibly start families of their own.  Who knows? 
     Thankfully, we were able to afford to go to New Zealand due to our retirement and our continued work in education.  Belinda found two subbing jobs that were long-term, but also part-time, one of which she subbed for her twin, Amanda.  Amazing!  With the help of Laura Shepardson, I was hired to work for the CORE (Collaborating for Outstanding Readiness in Education), and that job allowed me to much more consistently continue my new passion, helping teachers.

     All is good.  Life is great!  Remaining humble and thankful, I feel like Sia when she sings another song, “I’m unstoppable today!”

No comments: