Sunday, July 16, 2017

TopGolf and a Birdie Catch-Up

Written on 7-2-17.

     Belinda is driving our Escape as we escape to Lakewood for the 4th of July.  The idea was to go help out Mom and Dad some weekend, but this works out really well for us to come for the holiday, too.  Tomorrow night, we will have a barbecue at Bev and Curt’s, and the great thing about that is we will get to see all of their kiddos, also.  I’m thrilled about that, because none of her kiddos (I include Katie and Carter now when I write that) will be able to come to our Swope family reunion in Mancos on July 23rd.  Emily will still be in California for her internship, and the other three have been hired for a volleyball camp at Colorado College.  At first, I was really...
bummed when I heard that, but then I remembered how busy I was at that age either working or doing basketball camps.  When young and poor, it’s best to take as many of those job opportunities as possible.  Anyway, it will be super to see all of them tomorrow night!  
     Tonight, we are going to TopGolf, and I have invited some old friends.  Darrell and Angie are coming for sure.  Dan and Stacey might be there.  Joe and Tammy probably aren’t coming.  Colin said he and maybe one or two of his boys would make it.  Don’t know about Paul and Dawn or Coach Lewis, but the invite is out there.  No matter who comes, it will be a blast!  I really enjoyed that for my 50th birthday surprise, and I am looking forward to going back.
     In other golf news, I have three new birdies to report, and the first one goes all the way back to when we were in New Zealand, and I got to play with James at Riversdale.  The other two are more recent, and they are both at Hidden Valley.

Riversdale Golf Course-New Hole #5 or #14-Birdie #8 of 2017

     It’s been way too long since I’ve recorded a birdie, but I haven’t played much due to The First Tee, and it’s harder to get birdies at AMGC with the new arrangement now, too.  Also, when I have played, it hasn’t been super inspirational golf either.  Although I did play the newer front nine better than I ever had recently at +5.  Not bad.
     For this birdie, James and I had gone back to play our second nine the day after we had played our first.  It was so laid back.  We had our tickets, but we really didn’t need them.  The lady remembered us from the day before, and she believed us when we said we couldn’t finish 18 holes the day before due to “Club Day,” a day when anyone can join in on a tournament as long as he or she has an official handicap.  
     This hole was an easy one.  It was also the hole that had the sign that said that this course was the voted the best golf course in Riversdale, even though it’s the only golf course in Riversdale.  I know because I asked a local who was playing in a group behind us when we were on hole #3.
     It was easy, because the green was at the bottom of a bowl, so any shot that flew over the green would hit the side of the bowl and then roll down onto the green.  The 9-iron I used served its purpose to do just that.  The putt wasn’t an easy one, though, because it was long.  It was uphill, but it was long, around 20 feet.  It also helped that it was so straight.  I put the right amount of speed on it to get to the hole, and it rolled right in for my first birdie in a long time.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #7-Birdie #9 of 2017

     Bruce and I were playing match play this time, and he had beaten me by the time we had gotten to this hole.  We mostly went back and forth on the back nine, the nine we ended up playing first, but he really took off on the back beating me easily 5 and 4.
     Why did I wait until after the match was over to have such a great hole?  My drive flew straight up the right side of the fairway, heading over the left edge of the lone tree there.  It was far enough to go for it in two shots, so I used my utility club and let it fly.  This shot, too, flew right up the right side of the fairway and drew slightly until it landed on the green, stopping on the right side, and it was even with the hole that was in the middle on the left.
     My putt broke from left to right, and then it headed for the hole.  Just before the last few   inches, I thought it wasn’t going to go in, but it lipped the left side and stopped next to the hole, just a tap away.  I made that for a fun birdie on a long, tough hole.    

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-New Hole #14-Birdie #10 of 2017

     I played by myself after my first session with the Special Olympians on Thursday.  I’m helping them to get ready for some golf competitions.  I had my best front nine with the new arrangement ever on this day, getting pars on six holes.  It was two doubles and one bogey on the three par three’s that stopped me from having a terrific round.

     This birdie, however, happened on the back nine on the old #12.  I chose my 6-iron, and I aimed left of the hole.  It worked well, and I pushed/slightly faded my golf ball right at the hole.  The hole was cut on the right side near the middle, but closer to the back.  My ball hit the green, but it nearly rolled off on the right side leaving me with a 15 foot putt that was slightly uphill, but mostly straight.  I made that one, of course, for a rare birdie on the new #14.

No comments: