Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Free Round at Riverview: The Front Nine

Continued from my last post...

Hole #1-I got a triple.  Ugh.  Eric’s double lost to Bruce’s bogey, so they started out with the lead at one up.

Hole #2-With my 5-iron, my ball ended up not only on the green, but six feet from the hole.  My birdie attempt rolled above the hole, but my par, the only one on this hole, got us back to even.

Hole #3-Bruce and C.J. both got pars, and Eric and I didn’t.  Back to one down.

Hole #4-My par kept us at one down, but I should have birdied after my second shot put my ball in a great position just to the right of the green and even with the hole.  Short game malfunction.

Hole #5-I was the only one to earn a par after a long drive that got me in a good position.  We were back to even again.

Hole #6-Eric’s par matched Bruce’s and C.J.’s pars to keep us even for another hole.

Hole #7-I should have gotten a par after getting another green in regulation, but Bruce won this hole with his par, so we were back to one down again.

Hole #8-Bruce and I both got birdies, so we stubbornly remained one down.

Riverview Golf Course-Hole #8-Birdie #5 of 2018             

My first drive went out to the dirt and a large collection of bushes on the right side, so I hit a provisional.  That one, however, went outside of that line and ended up farther out in the dirt.  I hoped I would find one of them.  
I did.  The first one was on the dirt (not in the bushes), and I could play it, so I picked up the provisional.  I chose my “turf buster” for my next shot, and it caught my ball cleanly, so cleanly that my ball bounced up on to the green on the front left side.  Eric talked to me about how I was leaving putts short, so he wanted me to make sure this one got to the hole.  I thought I had put too much speed on it, but it did stop just a couple of feet short still.  I made that to keep us at one down.  


Hole #9-Eric’s ball went out of bounds left, so it was up to me.  My bogey lost out to Bruce’s par, though, so we ended the front nine two down, better than we thought we would be at this point in the round, however, because they had been playing for a couple of weeks before this match, and Eric and I had not been playing at all.

No comments: