Wednesday, April 10, 2019

New and Different Membership This Year


Written on 4-6-19.

     Well, I did it. I finally played again, and it’s because the weather has been fabulous with highs in the low 60’s.  With all the moisture we’ve received, everything is greening up incredibly, including the weeds.  I played 18 holes at Pinon Hills yesterday, and I played nine holes the day before at Hidden Valley.  I played okay.  Not much to report.  I didn’t keep score when I played the front nine at Hidden Valley, but I did get legitimate pars on holes #2 and #8.  Like I said, not much to report.  I managed quite a few bogeys, too, and the last one kept me from continuing on and playing the back nine, because I said to myself that if I got a bogey or better on the last hole I would stop and go home.  I got...
up and down from behind the green to earn that bogey, so I headed home.
     C.J., Bruce, and I all agreed to play at Pinon Hills with brand new memberships there this year instead of Hidden Valley, so yesterday was the first round, and you can bet I’ll be keeping track of the number of rounds again to make sure I get my money’s worth.  Sam (not his real name) joined us, too.  He is retired after 33 years of working for UPS, so he is playing a ton of golf now, and he has the full membership there, including the range pass.  Bruce, C.J., and I chose the restricted Monday thru Friday pass for just under $575.00, tax included.  I figured that we had to play at least 22 times this summer before the rest of the rounds became “free.”  Shouldn’t be a problem.
     Sam and I played against Bruce and C.J. in best ball match play.  As we walked down the hill to the fairway on #1, he said he was playing better and he was around a 10 handicap, so I thought we could take ‘em on.  
     He’s not a 10.  He had blow-up holes on #3, #7, and #10.  If he’s a 10, I’m close to scratch.  I put handicap 7’s down for him on those holes, and with those 7’s, he scored a 96.  If I had put down his real scores, he wouldn’t have a legitimate score.  I, however, shot a legitimate 92.  I only lost one ball, and that was on hole #1.  I earned pars on holes #3, #7, #12, and #14.  With this new membership, I look forward to improving that score with better future play.  My game is a bit rough right now with little cracks in every skill.  Bruce shot an 80, and C.J. shot a 102.  Sam and I lost 2 and 1 on the 17th hole, so it was a close match.  My par on #7 got us to two up, and my par on #12 got us back to even, but I did not close well and neither did Sam.  His pars on #4 and #5 were what gave us that two up lead on the front nine.  
     It was fun!  It was wonderful to get out and play with my buddies again, and we all were feeling good about our decision to play an entire year at a “new” golf course this season.

Until next time…

No comments: