Sunday, June 23, 2019

56th Wedding Anniversary and How That Game Turned Out


Written on 6-1-19.

     It’s my parents’ 56th wedding anniversary today.  We just finished a FaceTime chat with them, and it was great.  Gee whiz!  56!  Belinda and I are coming up on 29 this November, but 56?!  That’s incredible.  When I was talking with Dad on the phone yesterday, he mentioned that fewer and fewer people are staying married, especially for that long.  I agreed.  He said that 50% or so of the population either doesn’t believe in marriage, or their marriages don’t last or work out.  I said that I feel sad for that 50%.  I am thankful for my parents and their long-lasting and continued marriage.  Thank you, folks, for your great example.

On to golf…

     I wrote that I would tell about how that game worked out last, so here’s how it went.  
     Bruce wanted to play the game similar to match play, but it’s just a tad different.  Winning a hole gives you a point, and if there are ties, the points push.  In that respect, it’s similar to skins.  Each hole is worth one skin.
     He started out by winning the first hole, and then the points were pushed for the next three holes, and he won four more points on #5.  He and I then pushed the next point to #7 with pars on the downhill, picturesque par three #6.  I got the only par on #7, so I earned my first two points of the game there.  Then he got the only bogey on #6 to add to his total.  I finished well by getting the only birdie of the round on the tough #9 (see above).  Looking at the scorecard, I see it’s the most difficult hole on the entire course.  Sweet!  
     At the end of the front nine, Bruce was leading...
six to three, and C.J. was looking at a possible skunk.  Bruce won #10, and I won #11, so it was seven to four.  Then C.J. and I pushed the point from #12 to #13 where Bruce stole that point and one more with another par.  Now, it was nine to three, and it was game over: not enough points remained for me to catch him.  
     C.J. pushed the next point on #14 with Bruce to #15 where he got the only par and two more points.  At this point, Bruce was now ahead 11 to 4 to 0.  C.J. was still staring at a skunk.  
     I pushed the point on #16 with Bruce, and then I got two more pity points on #17 with the only par there.  We all got bogeys on #18, but I shared that point with only Bruce for some strange reason.  Maybe C.J.’s score was not a legitimate one.  So, the final score ended up being Bruce: 11.5, Pat: 7.5, and C.J. 0 or maybe .333.  I hope so.  Nobody wants a skunk!
     I shot my best stroke play score in this round with matching 43’s on the front and back for an 86.  Bruce shot an 87, and C.J. had an unexpectedly high score for him.

No comments: