Friday, June 28, 2019

My 8th Birthday!

      I am eight years old today, and this birthday is more special than all the others.  For this birthday, I have truly come full circle.  When we first discovered I had a brain tumor and would require surgery back in 2011, I was in the middle of co-directing the Bisti Writing Project’s Summer Institute with my dear friend, Dr. Frances Vitali.
     Today, I am enjoying my Clancy’s leftovers during the lunch break as I type this at the Child and Family Development Center at San Juan College as the co-director once more, and I am incredibly blessed to be able to do it again with my buddy, Frances.  She is like a sister to me.  This group, by the way, is an incredible family of educators, as diverse as they are creative and professional.  It’s been an honor to meet them and get to know them these past two weeks.  
     Instead of the middle this time, however, today is the last day.  Hooray!  Heaven forbid I drop dead due to an aneurism before 4:00. If I do survive to the end of this day, the closure will truly be complete.
     I must honestly write that I consciously and sub-consciously avoided Bisti Writing Project and summer institutes, because they conjured up such dreadful memories and emotions from that summer for many years after.  I was fearful.  The bond between the two, our Bisti Writing Project and the brain surgery, will not go away.  However, after surviving eight years and the conclusion of this seminar, it will forever be reframed in my mind.
     From here on out, this connection will only be a great one.  I have no fear as of this writing (especially because this is the last day), and life continues to be fulfilling and wonderful.  In this past year, I was there for my wife when her dear father, Dale, died suddenly of a heart attack, I witnessed my daughter, Danielle, graduate from NMSU, and as a teacher no less, and I officiated Becca and Matt’s wedding celebration.  Those are just a few of the many beautiful gifts I have received as I continue to wake up every day, grateful for all that I have, and as I strive to make the best of my time (and my extra time) here on earth.  
     As I had written here at this site years before, long live the Bisti Writing Project!  Death to tumors!

No comments: