Friday, March 27, 2020

Leaving Dead Horse Point and Is There Such a Thing as a Good Bogey?

Written on 3-14-2020.

Back again, and it’s almost time to check out of here.  The twins are restless, but I have about a half-hour to write.  This Alto is a real gift, a blessing.  I am so thankful that I survived the trip home, so I can enjoy every outing beyond that one.  Thank you, God.
Back to golf…

I am bummed that I haven’t had any birdies recently, but I can write about some good pars.  The last time I played at Pinon, I wanted to get six pars and the rest bogeys.  I ended up really close to that goal.  I got my six pars, but the rest weren’t bogeys.  I know I had two blow-up holes.
Yesterday, I wanted to do the same, but I blew up right away like I had written about above.  Then I settled in and got two pars in a row.  The first came on one of the easiest holes on the course, #3.  It’s a short par four, and I finally straightened out a drive with my “3-wood” that flew all the way uphill and settled in the rough to the right of the green.  I pitched on and used up two putts to finish the hole, and the first putt was from all the way across the green.
The next hole was a short par downhill par three, but the green was very small.  Actually, all of the greens were generally tiny.  I used my new swing, which mostly relies on my turning through the ball and not manipulated the club face with my hands at all, and it worked out pretty well.  My golf ball hit the green, but then it rolled out to a spot near a brick wall.  I used the chipping stroke that I have been practicing down at the park next to neighbor John’s house, and it popped up close to the hole.  The putt was downhill, but I lined it up right and put a smooth stroke on it.  That was more like it.  Two pars in a row.
I made a seven bogeys, and one of those was on the toughest holes, the long and narrow par five #15.  I was still pulling my tee shots, so I lined up more to the right, and I pull my left foot back, and I hit it hard.  All of those things resulted in a beautiful fade that hit the fairway.  I used my 5-iron for my lay-up, and with the ball above my feet a little, I swung a low pull that hit the fairway again.  From there, it was a 7-iron that just missed the green on the right side, a chip that went past the hole, and two putts.  Phew.  
Okay, I have to go.  I will continue this at home.  

Until next time…

No comments: