Friday, March 20, 2020

Coronovirus, Moab, and the Beginning of the Alto Dream

Written on 3-13-2020.

Donald Trump is speaking on Eric’s iPhone, and he is addressing the nation about the coronovirus and what actions he and other agencies are doing, and have done, to protect the public.  We learned last night that all schools in New Mexico are closed from Monday, March 16th, through Monday, April 6th, a full three weeks.  This has been the first time that this virus has directly affected Belinda and me.  With schools closed, we are unable to work.  And, since we are unable to work, we can’t get paid either.  
We are at Dead Horse Point State Park for the first time, though, and this is also the first trip with our Alto for this season.  What a great choice; it is beautiful here!  We took a morning hike in the rain, and we stopped by the gift shop immediately after.  Then we drove to the lookout for the park here, and it was very windy, but we took in the most incredible views there.
We just had a super lunch in the most wonderful of settings (our dining table in the Alto with a view), and everybody’s relaxing now.  Eric and Amanda joined us for this trip.  A and I came up yesterday early, and the B and Eric drove up after B got off work.  Despite the carbon monoxide monitor going off at around 4:15 in the morning, we survived our first night of sleep with all four of us in the camper.  
This was part of the dream with this Alto, to have all four of us go together on a trip…somewhere.  This trip started with Danielle’s plan to run in the half-marathon here in Moab, but it didn’t take long, and it didn’t surprise me, that it was cancelled due to the coronavirus.  Bummer.  She was scheduled to run tomorrow morning, but instead she and Matt are staying home with Kody.  Her run being cancelled did not cancel our plans or our trip.  I even got to play golf yesterday.

On to golf…

After I made sure Amanda was all set up with "Baker Street," I made the trip to the Moab Golf Course to play 18 holes.  I hoped I would be able to walk 18 before dusk, and I was just able to get that done.  I actually finished up just as Eric and Belinda came into town, so we were able to meet up and have Belinda come out to the camp site with me.
The golf was okay.  I hoped to get off to a good start and continue the momentum of my improvement from my work with Matt and my rounds a Pinon Hills.  I mostly did, but I really didn’t get off to the best of beginnings.  The range runs along #1, so that is out of bounds for most of the left side of that hole.  I immediately hit my first two tee shots into the driving range.  Ugh.  I pulled my tee shot left on the very next hole, too, and that was the beginning of my round.  Two consecutive blow-up numbers, because I didn’t warm up my full swings.  It’s frustrating to go play near the end of the day, because I feel I am in such a rush, so I have to get going ASAP.

No comments: