Friday, May 8, 2020

A Swish of Kody's Tail = New MacBook Air

Written on 4-26-2020.

Belinda, Kody, and I are still at the cabin on a Sunday, and it’s glorious.  I am watching a previously recorded telecast of the Zurich New Orleans Classic, and during the commercials I change over to Steel Magnolias.  Kody is asleep on the floor in front of the couch, and Belinda is propped up on the couch reading a book on her iPad.  
We head back home this evening, and I won’t look forward to that.  Leaving the cabin is always more difficult and depressing than going to the cabin. 
I forgot to mention yesterday that we have a new computer/laptop.  During the event #hackthecrisis that James was hosting, Belinda set her glass of water and ice on the coffee table near our old MacBook Pro, and you can guess what happened. It was Kody’s tail that knocked it over, and although the glass was halfway empty, it caused enough damage to ruin the motherboard.  
We really shouldn’t have attempted to turn it back on.  Danielle had said that, and we should have listened.  That might have saved it if we had left it alone, but now we will never know.
I am typing this on a brand new...
MacBook Air.  It has 8GB RAM, and a 500GB HD.  I plan on checking what the RAM was on our old computer tomorrow when I call the Mac Ranch again.  I am just curious if it had more.  I don’t think I need to tell them to erase the old HD, but I will.  
This MacBook Air has two of the new USB-C ports, so I ordered an adapter that allows me to use the older USB stuff, and I got a new adapter that allows me to hook it up to my external monitor.  I also bought a new cable for my back-up drives on Amazon, and it is supposed to come on Wednesday.  
This Air’s lighter definitely, so I am enjoying that.  It doesn’t get as hot as the old one either.  It is a 13” again.  It finally feels like what a laptop is meant to feel like, something you can hold on your lap easily and comfortably.  We had the last one for at least six years.  The Mac Ranch guy said it was a 2012, but I think we got it in 2014.  It also was one of the last ones to have a CD/DVD drive, so I am not sure if I will miss that.  Sometimes I would “rip” clips from different movies for my presentations using that DVD drive, so I am not sure how I will do that in the future, or if I even will do that anymore.  Time will tell.
B is napping now, and Kody has moved under the coffee table.  ShyShay is supposed to call soon as part of a scavenger hunt.  B and I both have a clue to tell her, and then it will be time for our family chat using Zoom at 4:00.  If she calls while B is still sleeping, I will give her Belinda’s clue.  After the chat, we will pack it up and head home.  

Until next time…

No comments: