Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Fluke Visit With Danielle in Durango

Written on 6-9-22.


Am I writing on a Thursday?  Yes.  I just wanted to break the pattern of writing on Sundays that I have had for a while.  I just finished waxing the Jeep, and I am cooling off in the computer room.  It’s going to be hot this weekend with temps in the 90’s.  I am going to take a moment to read the last post to see if I have any updates.

I found a video of Jon Rahm playing Tiger in the Ryder Cup from 2018 on FaceBook, and it’s a great match.  Tiger is one down with two to play.  Rahm ended up winning 2 & 1, and it was exciting to watch.

I have no birdies to report from our last round at Hillcrest, but it was great to go to Durango again.  We enjoyed seeing Greg and Mike, but Mike had some very sad news.  First, his 93-year old mother...

died.  Then his dog, Bailey, died rather suddenly.  He stopped eating, and the were going to take him to the vet, but they didn’t make it in time.  The worst of that news, in my opinion, although it was all sad, was that their 17-month old granddaughter died from RSV complications.  Wow!  He joked (trying to keep the moment light) by saying, “Other than that, everything is going fine.”

Greg was doing fine.  He switched to a cart on the back, because his knee was hurting.  He played well and won the game we played on the front.  He scored a 44 and won with seven points.  That is not a high amount of points considering how many could have been won, but Eric and I did even worse by getting one and two points respectively.  At least I had one more point than him.  

We chose to play Escalating Skins on the back.  Mike won that one, but I managed to win three holes, #12, #13, and #15 for $130k.  Eric only won one hole, but he had the longest of any drive that day on #18.  He blasted one 310+ yards!  Wow!  He also outdrove me on #11 when I was pretty sure I had the longer drive.  It was only by a couple of yards, but he did.  Mike won the last two holes with pars, so he took home the big money.  Greg struggled so badly on the back that he didn’t win anything.  I had the only par to win the hole on #15.  I shouted not to give the putt to Greg (not very nice), but he did miss it for his par.  Eric made an excellent putt from eight feet on #17 to push the money to the last hole.  It was a fun time.

After it was over, we met the girls at Gazpacho’s.  When we finished dinner, we took a walk up and down Main.  It was a bit sad, because stores were closed at 4:00, and they would have been open in past years.  Many can’t find the help they need to stay open later.

The best part of the evening was getting to see Danielle and some of her crew when they arrived in town a couple of hours later.  We picked up Jean Luc at his hotel and took them over to Steamworks.  Danielle took a short walk with us up and down 2nd Avenue.  B and I talked memories with her, since we walked past the BPOE where our wedding reception was.  Then I talked about how I stole gas from the Circle K and came down to the police station there to talk with them about what happened.  Yes, I stole some gas from the Circle K.  B talked about how she and A returned a camera they had found outside the school for some Japanese who came to study the American education system.  They found out American kids can do honorable things.  When we finished our walk, we hugged many times and drove off.  Now, she and her crew are in Santa Fe, but they still don’t know where they are going.  

Okay, it’s getting close to 10:30, and I am getting sleepy.  We did hear that Laura Lippman’s mom passed away tonight.  What a bummer.  May she rest in peace.


Until next time…

No comments: