Thursday, June 30, 2022

Nine Under Didn't Even Place at Robbie Ward

Written on 6-11-22.

        We played in the Robbie Ward Memorial Tournament today, and we played really well.  Here’s a quick summary to help me remember, and I will fill in more details later.


15-I started us off in this tournament, and I used my 7-iron.  It’s a bit rough to start a scramble on a par three, but I missed the green a little left.  It was on the fringe, but it was also up against the taller grass.  At least it was even with the hole.  

We ended up using Bruce’s tee shot that went right over the flag and landed farther away.  We agreed that being on the green was better.  My putt ended short, but it was closer than the rest.


16-Bruce’s drive was just past mine by a yard.  Bruce had the best approach, and once again we used my putt, even though it was short.


17-Roger got it all, and we got our first birdie.  His tee shot landed near the hole in the back, and he made the 12-footer.


18-Bruce got the best drive even though it...

ran through the fairway into the rough.  We used the club length to bring it out.  We used his second shot, too, even though mine was closer.  Mine was in the bunker, though.  We voted no to the bunker shot due to the condition and our skill level.  My pitch got closer, but none of us could make the putt.  We even used a mulligan.


1-My drive was high, but it ended up being the best.  We were 213 yards out from the middle of the green, and I used my 21º to put it on the green.  Phew!  We got our par, but we didn’t use a mulligan.  


2-Bruce did it all, just like Roger did on #17.  His tee shot was the first shot on the green for the tournament.  Dede (Pat Otero’s wife) told us, because they offered $10,000.00 for anyone who got a hole-in-one, and they needed to have a witness to pay out such a large amount.


3-We used my drive and Bruce’s approach, and we got a par.  I used a mulligan on the putt, because I felt I could make it.


4-We used Roger’s drive and approach.  His drive was past the cart path.  His two shots got us on the green in two, and because of that, we got a birdie.


5-We used Roger’s drive again, but Bruce’s approach this time.  I made a long putt for another birdie.


6-I think we used C.J.’s tee shot, but I am not sure.  Bruce made a pitch from short of the green, and I made the third putt for a par.  It was not an easy putt, and the group behind us was waiting and watching.  I am glad I could contribute on this hole, because my tee shot and my chip were awful.


7-I don’t remember whose drive we used.  It may have been mine.  I think it was, because it was on the fairway and just inside the taller grass.  Bruce’s approach hit the flagstick, and it bounced about six feet away!  I believe Bruce made the putt on our first try.  I ate half of my sandwich during this hole, and I had a feeling Bruce would make it.  The group called me over, however, to watch the line in case he missed.


8-Bruce and I both hit long drives, but he outdrove me again by a little bit.  I said I did’t care, and he could keep outdriving me, because it all helped the team.  His approach went past the green, but he made a great pitch to five feet left of the hole.  I don’t remember who made the putt.  I think it was Bruce, so this was entirely his hole.  My putt lipped out on the bottom.


9-Roger had his final long drive on this hole.  Bruce had the best approach again.  We all missed the putt despite using another mulligan.


10-We used C.J.’s drive this time.  He was the only one one the fairway.  Bruce went right, I went left, and Roger topped his.  My approach with my 21º got us just short of the green.  Bruce made the best chip shot to get it past the hole.  I made the putt after Bruce’s first putt.  His broke right, so I played it straighter.  It was a trick of the eyes, but it worked.

Roger said to me, “You are clutch.  You are Mr. Clutch, man.”

I was the last one to make an approach, and nobody got it anywhere close.  Once again, the group behind was waiting and watching.  My 21º was very, very “clutch” for me during this tournament. 


11-Finally, I had the longer drive, and it was not by a little bit.  It was 15-20 yards ahead of Bruce’s ball.  I didn’t really care, because we wanted the best drive possible.  Bruce got it just below the green from there with a smooth approach.  C.J. had the best pitch, and he made the putt from a couple of feet above the hole.  I love how everybody contributed.  What a great team I put together 


12-Bruce had the best approach with his 9-iron, but it was short of the green.  We all putted from there, and I ended up getting the best putt by leaving it just short of the hole again.  Kind of a pattern with that happening in this tournament.


13-We used C.J.’s tee shot, Bruce’s approach, although I did hit the green, also.  Bruce, Roger, and I tried to drive the green, because C.J. had his tee shot on the fairway past the 150-yard marker.  C.J. made the first putt from about 15 feet!


14-I had the drive after everyone missed.  No pressure!  I had the best approach, but we used our last mulligan to get it.  I used my 21º one last time, and it was just short of the green.  Bruce pitched it up from there and made the putt for our final birdie.


We got it to 9 under, but the winning score ended up being 18 under.

C.J. and I agreed that it was one of the most pleasant tournaments we had ever played in, and I was happy that they held it once more.  It took a two-year hiatus, because of the pandemic.  Robbie would have been 36 if he were still alive today.  The student-athletes that received the scholarships were one-year old when Robbie died 18 years ago.  Wow!

Bruce said Norm would be coming to town, but he didn’t know if he would want to play at the end of next week.  I guess he will let me know if he does.  

Tomorrow, we will go camping in either Hesperus or Mancos.  I hope to play at Conquistador or walk on at Hillcrest one of the days we are camping.  I am going with A and B, because Eric is helping with Dorrie.


Until next time…

No comments: