Friday, September 9, 2022

My Lag Shot and Pondering a Pro Playing South 40

Written on 7-26-22.


Because of that video, I chose to buy the Lag Shot 7-iron, the longer one.  I have been seeing many advertisements about it, so I bit.  

        I know.  Another golf training aide?  I’m such a sucker.  Let me try and justify this purchase.  First, we used the money we got from the state.  Second, B bought some shoes with her portion.  Third, I got a discount from Tom Saguto, and I wouldn’t have bought it without a discount.  Fourth, I am working on a stack and tilt swing, and Saguto recommended it.  Maybe I can get my backswing to match my forward swing more often for better contact.  I have 30 days, but I read that they are not so good with giving returns.

On the range, I used the “feel the weight of the head” swing that Tom talked about in his latest video.  I pulled some, I hit some longer than I usually do, and I duffed some, too.  I thought if I could control that swing a bit better it could be really good.  I had super compression with decent divots, but it was a little too...

hectic.  I know I tried it at home, also, and I got the same results.  I pulled many of them.  It seems to me that when I use the punch shot/half swing mentality, I am much more consistent.  My Lag Shot is expected to come here on July 29th.

Back to the South Forty… I was wondering how a pro would play/score on that course, and I would really like to see how they would play it.  I’m no pro, but I’m no slouch either.  How would a pro play hole #2?  It’s 245 yards to the green, and it’s a bit downhill.  It’s surrounded by sagebrush and rough, and it just makes me curious.  How would Jordan Spieth play it?  

What about #4?  When I played my second nine, I managed a double bogey again.  I know I earned that same score when I played nine years ago, because I mentioned it in the article.  This time, I hit the “devil tree,” and my ball kicked back to a grassy area.  I used my wedge to go over the creek from there, pitched on and used two putts.


Written on 7-29-22.


It’s a Friday afternoon, and the sun is burning off the gentle rain that fell this morning.  B and I drove to Farmington to run some errands, and then we grabbed Sonic for lunch and ate over at Eric and Amanda’s in our Alto.  We moved it over there to make things easier for John Peer to build the deck down by the putting green.  A and E gave us their old “Trex” decking since they put in a concrete patio, so we took it to repurpose it into a smaller deck and a short walkway that will connect the flagstone to the putting green.  It’s going to be great when it is all done!  We will have an even more complete area.  Eventually, I would like to have some triangle-shaped, canvas covers for shade during the heat of the day and lighting to be able to keep playing when the sun goes down.  The walkway is going to make it look finished and keep it cleaner, also.  

My Lag Shot was delivered just now, so I unboxed it right away.  It looks sleek and fantastic.  I won’t swing it in the house even though I am tempted. It’s just a little too damp right now to try it outside.  Maybe in a little bit.

Eric is going to make a tee time for Thursday.  He might invite Grant, too.  We talked about Pagosa.  The past two Wednesdays I have played with Hart and C.J. at Hillcrest, but Eric couldn’t play on Wednesday, so I chose to play with him instead.  It’s been a while, but he’s been busy.  He has an exam to pass to be able to fly for FedEx (or UPS?) on Wednesday, and it includes an oral exam and a flight test, too.  Sounds a bit stressful to me, but he feels confident in his abilities.  He hopes that there isn’t some obscure rule that trips him up, especially during the oral part.  

We leave soon, so I am going to try out my Lag Shot on my pitching area before we have to pack things up.  


Until next time…

No comments: