Friday, March 22, 2024

My 7 Essentials Scores

Also written on 1-31-24.

On to golf…

        I have wanted to get this in here since I borrowed another book from our neighbor John.  It’s called 7 Strokes in 7 Days, and I was making headway reading it until I was given an assignment.  I thought it would be super to start this year’s journal with, so here I go.

Dawn Grant, the author, asked the reader to complete some highlights and exercises.  The first is to start a journal.  Check.

The second is to “rate how well your are currently addressing each of your Seven Essentials For Great Golf on a scale of 1-10.”  (10 being the best)


1. Mechanics-7 I have spent many of the past several years on my swing mechanics (switching to more of a stack and tilt type swing), and I have improved.  Am I where I should be?  No, but I am much more confident.


2. Sleep-7  I get consistent sleep, and I sleep best when I use my oxygen.  At least that’s what B tells me.  I would score this higher if I wouldn’t sleep in sometimes, and if I was more consistent  with when I fell asleep.


3. Nutrition-6 Couldn’t most people be better with their nutrition?  Or, be better with all of these essentials?  I could cut down on sugar, of course.  I could improve the quality of my meals (better proteins and more veggies).  I could reduce my coffee intake (which includes reducing the half and half and the creamer).  So many ways I could improve in this area, but that is why I scored it a 6.


4.Hydration-9 I do really well with staying hydrated.  Not only do I do it daily, but I also do it when I play a round of golf.


5. Fitness-7 I walk daily.  I run on the treadmill and lift weights.  I have a stretching routine I work in, too.  When I am at home, I have a consistent routine.  I let my body rest and recover.  It’s when I am away from home, I struggle to work out and eat well.


6. Mental Training-4 I did lots of visualization in the past, but I have gotten away from that.  I let negative thoughts creep in when I play, too.  This is an area I could really improve.


7. Faith-9 Anyone who knows me knows I am a faithful person.  I don’t see this as an area I would need to work on right away.


There.  I got them in here.  Now, I need to get to work on my weaker ones “and get to work on them immediately.”

She is instructing me to set long term and short term goals for each of the Seven Essentials.

No comments: