Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Snow Day!

2-8-11
    Well, this is weird.  We had a snow day today, but as I look out my computer room window, it’s only partly cloudy, frosty looking, and breezy.  It was snowing lightly earlier, but it has since stopped.  I’ll take it, though.      
   I am uploading pictures to MobileMe, pictures from four years ago.  I hope to get most of them uploaded and organized.  What a great feat that would be.  I look ahead to the future when I am gone from this earth, and...
I see my children’s children’s children looking at them and getting a glimpse of our lives today.  Yes, thank you weird snow day for giving me the time to get this going.
    It also gives me time to write!  I got to play for the first time this season on my birthday of all days, and what a fantastic start to this golf season. 
    I met Bruce and C.J. after they had played nine holes.  I paid for my seasonal membership (a steal at $310.00) and headed out to the course.  The weather was nice enough to allow play, yet drifts of melting snow were numerous in various shady places.  Nine holes were open.  I met up with my buddies after they had finished hole #10, and we then walked over to play hole #12.   
    I had not swung my clubs since Estrella del Mar, and I had no idea of how it would go.  I could’t force a tee into the frozen ground of the teeing area, so I dug around in my bag and actually found two old dirty rubber chubby tees that sit above the ground.  I used my 7-iron (the teeing ground was moved forward to be in more sunlight).  My ball landed short of the green and the snow, so I had to pitch to get up on the there.  I did my leaning forward, open stance pitch, and my ball landed just on the green where it then rolled to less than two feet away.  Nice!  I made that putt for a par.  Bruce took a drop due to the snow, pitched closer than I did and took a par also.  C.J. made a long putt of about seven feet to save a bogey.
    They were up for playing one more hole, so we walked over to hole #10 to play back in.  My 3-wood made a satisfying cracking sound at impact, sending my ball just to the left of the cottonwoods and down onto the fairway.  A perfect start for this hole, too!  From there, I used my gap wedge to put my ball on the green.  Bruce took another drop from the snow and the trees on the left side of the fairway, and from his drop, he made a great swing that put his ball on the green, too.  I got my first putt close enough to make my second one, so my season started with a purchased membership, two pars in a row, and a happy birthday.
    I even said, “Happy birthday to me.” after I had completed my two pars.  I could have stayed and played, but it was such a sweet start, I chose to leave when they did.  They were teasing/mumbling about how I had just shown up, scored two pars, and was ready to leave, but they meant it in the nicest way.  I told Bruce that this is what it feels like to play against him most of the time.
    It’s later in the afternoon on this snow day now.  B and I just had a nice quiet lunch together (kids are working on student council projects together at the high school).  We had some cash left from my Mom and Dad for my recent birthday, so we got some Wendy’s and brought it home.  The children leave tomorrow at noon (weather permitting) to go to Taos for the student council meeting.  Pictures are still uploading to MobileMe.  I just put pictures up there from my surprise 40th birthday party back in February of ’07.  I cried (not real tears, just whining) like the spoiled youngest child that I am that I would not get a surprise party for my 40th that they caved in and did it for me.  Mom, Dad, Bev, and Guy all came in February, and I had no clue.  It was nice. 
    Now, I am uploading pictures of Zen I discovered.  These pictures were all placed on an external hard drive that we bought to make more room on the Mac Mini for James’s World of Warcraft game a few years ago.  He doesn’t play it anymore, but I feel good knowing that we saved those pictures, and I feel even better knowing that I am backing them up online right now.

No comments: