Thursday, February 24, 2011

9th Excerpt from My Golf Diary

In this excerpt from June of 2000, I continue to write about some golf memories that stood out to me.  I almost get blasted by a sprinkler when playing with Eric at Pinon Hills, and I am unexpectedly asked to come play through over a canyon on a different day on hole #4, also at Pinon Hills...  Have I really been playing for almost eleven years now?
Pinon Hills-Hole 5
    On that same round, Eric and I had to avoid sprinklers.  I guess because it was a Monday, they were watering.  Eric had just hit after running in to avoid the water.  My ball was on the left side, nice and dry.  I had set up to my ball once already, but stopped to watch Eric.  As I set up again and was about to take my backswing, the sprinkler Eric had to avoid, shut off, and a sprinkler not eight feet in front of me exploded right at me nearly taking my head off!  Eric and I laughed for about three minutes looking around to see if anyone was watching.  After I had settled down a little, I took my swing, and it landed about twelve feet from the hole!  Probably the adrenaline helped.  It was from one hundred fifty yards.

Pinon Hills-Hole 4 (different day)
    On this hole your second shot has to go over an intimidating (to some people) canyon.  My drive went right, so I had to punch out or lay up to go over safely.  I had been playing alone.  Belinda and the kids had gone to Phoenix.  Now, though, the father and son ahead of me had stopped on the green and waved for me to come on over.  I was a little surprised to have them wait for me, and a little nervous, but I got good contact with my nine iron. It landed on the upper tier of the green about ten feet from the hole!  I missed the putt for par, but got a nice compliment from the father on my “over the canyon” shot.

No comments: