Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Adventure of Bruce and C.J. or What I Missed

9-4-11

    It’s Labor Day weekend.  Bruce and I are going to play tomorrow for our Labor Day eighteen holes.  I played with Troy (last name) and Terry (last name) at Pinon Hills on Friday.  Troy left a voicemail on my cell (it is set to silent when I teach), and just a few hours later, I met up with them on hole #7.  Troy and Terry were in town to see Troy’s son, Angelo, a sophomore at Montrose High School, play football against the Piedra Vista team.  Troy has the tendency to be spacey at times, so he fully admitted the only reason he contacted me was because his wife Jill reminded him that I live near Farmington.  Thank you, Jill.  I had a wonderful time.  I played well, and it was so fun to hang out with them.  I made an evening out of it by going to the game, and Belinda even came to meet us there.  The timing was really good, too, because we had an early release day due to homecoming.
    I can add more about that later, but my next writing assignment (self-assigned) was to write about what I missed this past summer when I was out of the action, a funny story about Bruce and C.J.
    C.J. called me after the surgery, maybe a week or two after.  He had a funny story he just had to relay, and I was his perfect audience.  He told me that... he and Bruce had both just birdied hole #15, the par four with the ditch that runs through it.  They walked their carts over to the cart path above the 16th green like they always do.  Their tee shots landed their golf balls near the back of the green, and the wind was gusting. 
    As they were looking over a second shot together, Bruce looked up and wondered out loud where C.J.’s cart had gone.  C.J. looked up too, and sure enough, only Bruce’s clubs remained on the path.  It took less than seconds for them both to figure out that they had been blown by the wind and were dumped into the ditch. 
    C.J. has had a broken brake for a while; I remember when we tried to help him fix his brake on hole #5 one day.  We ended up just getting it to roll again, still with no brake, though.  His brake was causing his wheels to stick and not roll.
    They ran over to see how bad it was, and it wasn’t good. His cart was upside down in the water.  They both stood watching, trying to figure out how deep it was and how to get the clubs out without going in.  Bruce saw a club floating in the water toward the bridge on #15.  It was a 5-wood (*I found out later it was his driver first), floating nicely up on top.  They were able to pull out the bag, but not all clubs had fallen in.  Which club did C.J. use to pull his 5-wood out?  Such an important decision when playing golf... or when trying to pluck your other clubs out of a flowing ditch.  Then Bruce hollered out that another club was heading towards C.J., a 3-wood this time.  Another group was coming up on #15 and they were ready to play their approaches, but C.J. was still lying on his stomach on the bridge.  He craned his neck around and shouted to let them know he was there fishing for his 3-wood. 
    In all, C.J. ended up losing only his water bottle, one of those expensive metal ones.  Even his wallet was recovered.

More details later...

No comments: