Friday, September 30, 2011

That Feeling in My Head and Back Where I Belong

     Okay, I feel caught up on the whole golf scene now, but one more thing I have been thinking about is the Club Championship.  I talked to Bruce about this, too, and he said he would consider playing in it if he is playing well enough to have a shot at that time.  Honestly, I don’t know when it is.  It might be this coming weekend, and that would be bad.  I remember it being the first weekend of October one year.   I would like to play, but my life is busy right now.
    For example, I am...
on the bus to Gallup for volleyball as I type this.  We are playing Miyamura today, and I took a full day off to be able to go to the dentist this morning. Since I started coaching volleyball again, it’s been a blur, almost like the blur when we first brought home James and Danielle as newborns.  One difference, however, is that I have been getting great sleep, but each night I have really needed it.  The Sleep Number Bed has been a blessing. 
    Since volleyball has begun, my most tiring days have been the longer ones on the weekends.  We hosted a scrimmage at Aztec early in the season, and I could barely function when that was over.  My head has not hurt, though.  It feels more like the feeling I get when going over Wolf Creek, or even more like the feeling I get when I am in an airplane at take-off.  Writing that, though, makes me think it feels most like the times when I am in an airplane that is landing.  That might be the best description, because I feel more tired at the end of a flight, and my head feels more wonky at the end, too.  Chewing gum does not help as much during a landing.  It’s not pain, but it is discomfort; the pressure inside my head feels like an uncomfortable, steady light head rush without all the stars and that feeling of possibly passing out.
    I felt that way after the first day of the Piedra Vista Invite; that was a long Friday.  Mancos dropped out, so we were invited to play in a varsity tournament as a JV team.  We did well, too, officially beating Bloomfield’s varsity in pool play and taking second place out of three teams.  I was proud.
    Coaching volleyball again has been great.  I am not complaining at all.  I am happy to be here, and when I’m in the gym coaching, I would not want to be anywhere else.  It’s hard, but it’s worthwhile.  The first day I was back in the gym, that first day of try-outs, I thought to myself I was back where I belonged. 
   

No comments: