Friday, September 30, 2011

Coaching Volleyball Again Brings Back Memories

    I am good at golf, and I have improved so much, but I know volleyball, and it was great to be reunited with Anna as her assistant coach again.  We work well together, and it brings back great memories of taking state in ’92 and taking third in state the year right after that, and all those great girls we coached all those years ago. 
    It has also brought back wonderful memories of...
the Spike Doctor Volleyball Clinics that Kelly and I used to run, too.  We did that for seven years, and it was a successful summer business.  We could both truthfully say we were making money doing something we enjoyed. 
    I’ve been melancholy lately, too.  Mostly on the weekends when I go into my classroom to get work done.  I shouldn’t have to go in with all the help I have been receiving, though.  Amanda has graded large stacks of papers, and so has Belinda.  Belinda came and helped me by doing some brainless odds and ends like copying and checking work this past Sunday.  Amanda did my lounge duty last week, so I might end up not doing lounge duty at all this year unless I sign up for a second time later this year, so it’s done.  I get sad when I think about how much time I have missed out with our family because of the Masters and the dossier, but a couple of things really help me when I start to think of those things.  First, they are done (the Masters and the dossier), and I never have to do them again, but more importantly, I am coaching my daughter and my niece now.  Belinda and Amanda were the ones who strongly suggested I coach again, but I was the one who really wanted to do it.  I almost started last year, but Danielle wanted to have one year on her own to prove herself. 
    Becca was just up here at the front of the bus.  I told her I had just told Melanie (not her real name) that we were only twenty minutes away, my favorite thing to say when someone asks how much longer we have to go, and that’s what I always say no matter how far away our destination is.  We smiled at our little private joke. 
    A horse just ran in front of our bus.  Don’t see that every day.  We were going slowly enough, though, since a semi was just turning in front of us so no chance of an accident really.

    Okay, enough for now.  I might write some more on the way home.  I am going to take a break.  

Until next time...

No comments: