Tuesday, May 22, 2012

16th Excerpt From My Original Golf Diary

    James graduated this past weekend from high school.  We are full of pride.  He spoke at the ceremony at the beginning with the welcome and at the closing with the tassel tradition.  It was a fantastic weekend with many friends and family stopping by.  I started the excerpt below by saying I couldn't believe it was 2001.  Now, I can't believe it's 2012 and my son just graduated from high school.  
    Also in this excerpt, I played at Civitan and tried something with two targets.  I got a new driver. too.  That driver is under the bench on our back deck now.  Haven't taken a swing with it in years.   

1-8-01
    I have lots of good stuff to write about, but...
unfortunately no birdies yet this year.  I can’t believe it’s 2001.  It’s a year that seemed so far off to me, and now it is suddenly here.  I’ll start with my best round of golf at Civitan ever.  Eric and I got to go play over the break.  I had wanted to play and take a break from lessons.  Civitan is great for short game practice, but this time it was great for my full swing.  After taking my last lesson with Mike, I had learned that I was setting up to the left of the target unconsciously, which inadvertently was causing slices and some really bad shots dead to the right.  My main goal was to line up a little more to the right and try to draw the ball.  At each hole I picked out two targets, one straight ahead and one to the left of straight-ahead. If the flag was on the left side, I would line up to the right of it, and then I would try to flip my wrist violently at impact.  If I missed and hit it straight, I would be on the green.  If I hit it to the left from flipping my wrists, I would be really close to the flag.  This really helped my confidence on my tee shots.  I felt like I would be safe either way.  Also, I remembered X-factor as a swing key thought which always helps me, and to pause my left shoulder on the downswing.  On the second nine, I had my best score ever!  I hit six greens (holes 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8) out of nine greens, and I “double-putted” each one.  With six pars, one bogey and two doubles, I got my best score ever at Civitan, a 32!  I was more pleased with my full swing than anything else.  I felt very confident addressing the ball. I then took my game to Pinon to play nine holes of “real” golf by myself on Tuesday before school started up again.  I did not record a good score, mostly because of my driving.  I have a new driver that I got for Christmas.  It’s a Mizuno titanium oversized or Mighty Big T-Zoid, gold in color.  I really like it, and asked for that instead of my set of new Thomas Golf irons with alignment technology, because money is pretty tight right now.  The only problem is I haven’t practiced with it very much, and I didn’t feel very comfortable using it.  I got one decent drive with it on hole number three, but that was about it.  Despite my high score, I did have some great shots.

No comments: