Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Final Masters Post-We See Bubba

5:18 P.M.-I see Phil Mickelson walking down the fairway on #15.  This is the first time I have ever seen him live before, too.  He also has a specific gait.  He saunters. 
    Hanson waits to tee off on #16 while everyone cheers Phil’s arrival.  We then witness Phil make what Guy and I feel is the best shot we’ve seen today, although unnecessarily risky.  Phil flops a shot from behind the green on the right side.  He makes a full swing, and it’s the highest flop I’ve ever seen; it probably went 20 to 30 feet high.  Other players used a low chip shot that worked just fine.  Phil was just showing off.  He makes his putt from about 7 feet for his birdie.

    Earlier, the gallery guy told us all that the par three is playing 166 yards today, which is an 8-iron, and my thought is, “I’m sure they’re not all using an 8-iron.”
    He also told us he is not going to heaven, and that this is as close as he’ll get.  At that, I think to myself...
“This is heavenly, but I am sure heaven is better, and I hope he makes it there.  I hope we all do.”

5:50 P.M.-We start back to #18 to watch the final groups play in.  Along the way, we see Bubba Watson for the first time.  We have no idea he will win the whole thing tomorrow, but now that I know he did win it, I am thrilled we got to see him, albeit for only one full swing.  He goes for the green in two shots from the fairway, and what strikes me the most is how long he holds his pose.  We could not see the result from where we were standing, but the crowd down by the green did.  They cheer.  He continues to hold his pose.  He’s still holding it.  I notice his hairy arms.  He’s still posing.  Okay, now he’s done.  Pose all you want, Bubba; you are the Masters champ!
    A few minutes later we see Rory’s caddy, but we don’t see Rory.  Then we see Rory and Sergio walking together alone (no caddies).  Right after they walk by, the crossway is opened, and we walk right behind them as they continue down the fairway.  They were the two pros we came the closest to.

6:33 P.M.-We have made it back to the #18 green.  I was worried that our chairs would be gone, but my fears were not warranted.  The aisle that was marked off earlier near our chairs is now smothered.  It’s a sea of green chairs.  It takes a while for the two guys who are using our chairs to come out.  Then it takes a while for us to get in.  As we near our chairs, Guy almost gets knocked over by a fan who is trying to be helpful.  The chairs are so close together and Guy’s feet are so big that one foot gets caught.  The “helpful” fan lifts Guy’s foot to free him, but in doing so almost topples all 6’5” of Guy onto some poor unsuspecting victims.  Guy uses his great dexterity and agility to somehow save himself and about four other people.
    Charles Howell III and Ben Crane are the first we get to see finish.  I wanted Charles Howell to do well.  I really wanted him to win.  I’ve heard he has a lifelong dream to win the Masters since he grew up with the Masters in his “backyard.”  He and Ben finish bogey, bogey, though, and it’s not meant to be this year.  Maybe next year?
   
6:37 P.M.-We see eventual winner Bubba finish on Saturday.  His approach on #18 comes in low, skips past the hole, and then rolls back to only 5 or 7 feet away.  His short little stroke puts the ball in the hole.  It’s a birdie!

6:45 P.M.-Mcllory’s approach stops only 6 to 8 inches away.  Wow!  He taps in for a birdie before Sergio double putts for his par.
    Every time a group comes up, the crowd gives out two ovations.  The first one is for when they are walking up to the green.  Then everyone settles down and sits again until they finish.  After that, it’s a second ovation to cheer them away when they are all done.  I am so happy to be here, but I know the time is fleeting.

7:18 P.M.-I am sitting near the main entrance waiting for Guy who is in the store buying some stuff for himself.  The final putt I witnessed was from Oosthuizen for a bogey to finish the day at 7 under. 

    I bought a little blue notebook, pocket sized, for my day at the Masters, and it was by far the best investment.  I enjoy writing so much, and I enjoy golf, so this day was spent doing two of my favorite things.  Without my little blue notebook I would not have had half as much fun as I did. The last thing I wrote was as follows: Got to see Fred Couples end with a par.  I don’t want to leave. Gonna try on my new shirt now.

    This trip was so fun for so many reasons.  I included it in my submission to Golf Digest as something I would not have done had it not been for my brain surgery last summer.  It was expensive.  My pay was docked since it was a holiday weekend.  We have two children, and James is headed for college.  I might not have gone if it weren’t for the surgery, and I might have.  Either way, I’m glad I did.
    Some of the other highlights included eating at Waffle House for the first time, working out with Guy at the hotel, listening to the song Glad You Came over and over again, winning a free round and then playing it at Hickory Knob Golf Course for hitting the green on #6, watching Wrath of the Titans, and just hanging out alone with my brother for an entire weekend, something we rarely get to do.

No comments: