Monday, January 14, 2013

20th Excerpt From My Original Golf Diary

     In this, my 20th excerpt from my original journal, I play golf at Hidden Valley as an eighteen hole course for the first time ever.  Wow!  It wasn't pretty.  The course has come far in eleven years.  Curt made an insane, fast trip to be here for Easter, but he really only had time to play golf with me, and he ended up beating me.  Eric and Kyle came to join us on the back nine.  I remember this Easter because we have video of the kids running around at the park behind Safeway after missing the Easter egg hunt, and they don't care a bit. 

Also written on 4-19-01.   

     I also got to play with Curt over Easter weekend at the newly redesigned and recently opened Hidden Valley Golf Course here in Aztec!  Yes, here in Aztec.  Yes, eighteen holes.  Eric joined us after work with Kyle for the back nine.  Curt had made this a special trip just to...
play golf with me and also to see his kids hunt for Easter eggs at the park behind Safeway.  He got to play golf, but he was not able to watch his kids find eggs. We arrived at the park too late because of a misprint in the Aztec Local News.  It said 10:30, but it was really at 10:00.  The kids didn’t seem to mind, though.  They were happy to just run around the park with each other on a really nice day. 
     Dad bet Curt one dollar that I would beat him.  It was not meant to be this time.  He beat me by a good five strokes, and maybe more.  The course was in terrible shape, but it’s new. New, damp, bumpy sod is in a lot of areas. Ground under repair is “par” for this course on almost every hole right now.  The irrigation has not been figured out yet, and hole #13 has a big waste area that will hold water some day, I think.   I did have one par.  I hit a really nice chip to about six inches on hole #8.  An article in the Farmington Daily times stated that Hidden Valley is a “shotmaker’s course”.  It is.  The fairways are narrow and run right alongside each other.  Some of the greens have some difficult contours and undulations.  It was easy to get lost, and after the first three holes, Curt and I got a map from the ranger.  Without it, we wouldn’t have known where we were going.  I look forward to playing it again when things are more established and I have a better idea of where I’m going.  I shot a 98.  The back nine was better than the front.

No comments: