Monday, January 28, 2013

Lakewood Trip and One Scooter Down

     I am home again after a long, fast trip to Lakewood.  I went for a few reasons.  First, Guy, Annmarie, and Shylah made the trip from Virginia.  When that happens, I always do my best to see them.  Usually, Belinda, James, and Danielle would come along, but James is at school, Danielle has her new job, and Belinda fractured her collar bone.  
     I haven't written about it yet, but Belinda had an accident on her scooter.  The throttle got stuck open, so she panicked (of course...who wouldn't?) and it dumped after rolling over a patch of loose gravel.  She said her right side...
softened the landing.  Thankfully, she had her helmet on.  It smacked hard against the black pavement of the road near Cap Wall's Park.  Ironically, she was going the back way to school to be more safe.  Her little blue scooter is gone now (sniff, sniff).  We gave it to ATV World in Farmington to do whatever they wanted with it.  We both agreed it was not worth repairing; it was scraped and torn in too many places to warrant the cost of salvaging it.
     The second reason I went was to see my high school basketball coach, Duane Lewis.  He was recently inducted in the Colorado High School Activities Association Hall of Fame.  I will dedicate a post to Coach Lewis here soon, but we had a super lunch with him where some other former players from my year joined Guy and one other player from Guy's class.  It was a splendid get-together.  I was so glad it worked out; actually, it was my idea.
     Third, I went for a selfish reason.  It's my birthday tomorrow, so I wanted to spend some quality time with family the weekend before my big day.  It's not a landmark birthday; I'm turning 46 tomorrow, but I acted my usual spoiled self and got what I wanted by driving a huge loop through Colorado.  I went from Aztec to Mom and Dad's, from Mom and Dad's to DIA and back to pick up the Virginia Swopes.  Then I drove to Colorado Springs to spend one night and have small birthday celebration there with my niece Emily whose birthday is today.  Happy birthday, Emily!  The next morning, yesterday, I drove from the Springs all the way back home.  Over a snowy Wolf Creek Pass.  All alone!  Phew!  It's so nice to be back at home again.  
    I have just one small bit of golf news that I will add quickly.  Mom and Dad gave me an entire set of Titleist ProV1 golf balls for my birthday.  Now if the weather would just cooperate so I can give them a go.

Until next time...  
  

No comments: