Sunday, January 20, 2013

21st Excerpt From My Original Golf Diary-First Birdie at Hidden Valley's New Course

4-30-01

     I got another birdie today!  Yeah!  It’s my first for the year 2001.  Only 19 or more to go.  I was so happy to get one, because I hadn’t for such a long stretch there.  I know if I play more, I have a better chance, but I needed the boost.  I feel that my game has reached a plateau at this phase of my learning curve.  Part of it is practice time.  I talked about this with Mike at my last lesson on Friday.  Today is Monday.  He said, and I agree, that all the instruction in the world won’t help anyone without practice.  
     I do visualize at home every night before falling asleep.  Whether it’s hitting a perfect drive right on the fairway, or...
hitting an iron onto a green, or making a perfect chip-in, or even sinking a three foot putt, I practice golf in my head every night.  
     I knew it would happen (this plateau), but it is frustrating nonetheless.  I want to physically practice more.  The nice weather and summer will help.  I think I can consistently break 100 now if I were to play at least every weekend.  I want to start breaking 90 now consistently.  I had Mike help me with my course management in a rather embarrassing playing lesson on Friday.  I told him about my two-target system of golf.  I have mentioned this earlier, but here it is again.  For example, if there is a large area of green on the right and the flag is on the left, I will slightly line up to the right.  Then if I pause my left shoulder and flip my wrists with a quick snap roll, the ball will draw right to the flag, or if the snap is not snappy enough, the ball will go straight and land right on the green.  This gives me a lot of confidence at address.  Mike says it’s a good system, and to stick with it. 
    I was frustrated playing with Curt because I would listen to what he was telling me about which clubs to use.  Sometimes, I chose one that was too lofted and sometimes one that was not lofted enough.  I wasn’t mad at him, but I was frustrated because I didn’t know enough myself to feel confident about which club to pick.  Despite shanking a total of about five shots (three in a row with my five-iron) in only two holes, Mike told me my course management was fine. Unfortunately, I had a much more difficult time with execution.  A key thought Mike told me was that I need to feel confident (something I had already read, but it’s good to hear again) that the club I choose will get the ball to where it needs to go.  At my next lesson, Mike is going to help me with yardages on all of my clubs.   

New Hidden Valley Course-Hole #5 1st Birdie of 2001!


     I hit a drive with my Mitsushiba three-wood.  I hope to get a new 3-wood and a new 5-wood next in order to have a completely new set of clubs.  I plan on getting Mizuno to match my new driver.  My drive went left of the fairway, and even left of the traps over there.  This is an uphill par five next to a fence on the right, so I tee it up on the right side.  I used my five-wood, and hit a fantastic shot to about 95 yards out.  I used my sand wedge and hit it to the right side of the green within chipping range.  After leaving a couple of chips short, I wanted this one to be close or maybe even long.  I used my sand wedge, lined it up and bounced it in on the second bounce.  It was a good thing the flag was in. The ball did hit it pretty hard.  I had no witnesses this time.  Bummer!  I was playing alone because it was my personal day, and it was on a Monday.  The fairways and greens were clear ahead of and behind me.  I was so happy.  I laughed and even whooped a couple of times.  Next time, I will try to have some comments about those books I am reading.

No comments: