Wednesday, February 20, 2013

My Thank You to Coach Lewis

Guy, Coach Lewis, and I
2nd Row: Darrel, Dan, Coach, and Brent, 1st row: Myself, Rich, and Guy,

    Coach Lewis, thank you for your time, your expertise, your sense of humor, and your high expectations.  Thank you for your basketball program and your shooting clinics.  Thank you for all of it.
    We had a Saturday luncheon/reunion with Coach Lewis at Nicolo’s in Lakewood for a celebration last month.  He had just been inducted into the Colorado High School Activities Association Hall of Fame earlier that week, mostly as a player, but also for his work as a coach and as the innovator of the Global Shot Doctor Shooting Clinics.  This luncheon, by the way, took place approximately 30 years after I first started playing for coach and for Alameda High School.  
    My brother Guy (1984 squad), and three other players from our ’85 squad were there to revisit the past, share stories and catch up with each other.  Coach brought two scrapbooks to jolt our brains and give us a trip back in time.  Near the very end, another player from Guy’s class showed up.  It was a fantastic reunion!
    I won’t share everything we talked about, but I will comment on how we all agreed about the things we admired (and still admire) about Coach Lewis.  As fathers of sons and daughters who are playing sports, we see what is painfully lacking in many places.      

    Where is the fitness test that weeds out the players who don’t really want to be there?  We were required to run 5 miles under a certain time limit and complete some other physically demanding tests just to have a chance at trying out.  Where is the clear, concise teaching of the fundamentals?  We were taught the fundamentals for every aspect of the game.  Where are the packed gyms?  The practice situations to help us get ready for any of the endless variety of last minute (or the final few seconds of) possibilities?  The fun and fancy warm-ups before each game?  Those were just a smidgeon of the things we remembered, and they were all outstanding memories.  Well, except for maybe the running parts. 
    I mentioned it in a previous post, but if imitation is truly a form of flattery, Coach Lewis should feel very flattered.  The following are just a few examples of the things I have done in an attempt to emulate Coach Lewis (not coming close really, but always giving my best). 
    Coach had quotes, inspirational quotes at the bottom of every practice schedule.  I have used quotes, too, as a coach.  My favorite is, “When you’re green, you’re growing.  When you’re ripe, you’re rotten.”  I remember that one from a Shot Doctor Clinic. 
    Coach had a small informational piece in every basketball program called Sim Sez.  My weekly newsletter at school is titled Swope Says...  Coach Lewis invented Shot Doctor, which has now evolved into Global Shot Doctor.  After gaining success as a volleyball player and assistant high school volleyball coach, I collaborated with my co-ed doubles partner to successfully run our Spike Doctor Volleyball Clinics (sound familiar?) here in the Four Corners area for seven years back in the 90’s.  We had what we thought was a solid method of teaching the volleyball fundamentals, and we had a camp store with some of the latest, greatest volleyball clothing and accessories.
    As a teacher and a coach myself, I realize after more than 20 years that I can never predict the ways I have affected my students and my players.  Coach Lewis, I know it’s the same for you, but let me state clearly that you have affected me greatly and in the most positive ways.  I remember playing for you.  I remember your lessons on basketball and life, and I know that the lessons about life were the most important.  It was a privilege to be one of your players, and it is a privilege to continue to know you now.  I am certain that all of your former players feel the same way.  Congratulations on your success and your induction into the Hall of Fame.  Thank you.  Thank you for all of it.

No comments: