Sunday, February 17, 2013

Presidents' Day Weekend and First Birdie of 2013

2-16-13

    Ah, a fresh page.  A blank white screen with a blinking cursor.  The sounds of the keys clicking on my keyboard.  Sunlight at dusk streaming through our living room.  Peace.  Hello, writing time.  I have missed you. 
    Happy Presidents’ Day weekend, the reason for this newly found time to write.  I hope to get caught up with everything that’s in my brain.
    I’ll begin with the first birdie of 2013.  In my last post, I said I wanted to write about my silly new golf shoes that I won last year, so this was also the first birdie with those new shoes on my feet.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #15-Birdie #1 of 2013

    I was playing...

alone.  It was too windy for Bruce and C.J.  I teed off with my 8-iron (and my new shoes on my feet), and the wind pushed my shot into a pull, causing it to end up where I normally don’t like to be: within pitching range of the green.  I thought about pitches off of tight lies being difficult, and then I thought better.  I chose to think of them as the easiest shot in golf.  It helped.  My ball popped up high, and it flew right over the flag.  I thought it might roll off the green, but it stopped just before the green ran out.  I had a long putt.  I picked out a small light piece of something a couple of feet past the hole.  The wind was blowing in my ears, so when the ball rolled into the hole it was like watching a silent film.  When I took my first step to go retrieve my ball and return the flag, I decided to count my steps.  That first birdie of this year ended with a putt from 16 paces.  Nice!  I ended with a 39 on the back, but that did include a triple on hole #12 after a wayward tee shot.

No comments: