Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Cobble Creek Road Trip!

Eric, Myself, Bruce, and C.J. on the #1 Tee at the Cobble Creek Golf Course in Montrose, Colorado
    I earned one birdie, and we all had a blast at the Cobble Creek Golf Course, where my buddy Troy's the head pro.  We were there the end of June and the beginning of July weekend, and we plan on making it an annual trip from here on out.


Cobble Creek Golf Course-Hole #15-Birdie #18 of 2013 

    This is a short par four.  I remember reading the hole by hole descriptions online before we left.  This hole was described as “a true ‘risk/reward’ golf hole.”  It is the easiest hole on the course, and I can see why.  Big hitters can drive it, which is how I chose to play it.  It has a long rock wall with large flagstone-looking rocks protecting the front of the green, and a little creek runs along the front, too.
    I used a Titleist Pro V1 golf ball, honestly thinking that my inappropriately titled golf balls would go too far.  It worked out just right.  Somehow my ball landed in the thicker grass just to the left of the green, missing the rock wall and the creek. Phew!  I used my new open stance chip shot to get my ball within twelve feet and below the hole.  The putt was mostly straight, and I got my one and only birdie of my two rounds at Troy’s golf course.
    During the next day’s round, I attempted to drive it again, but my ball must have gone in the creek; I earned a bogey that time.  Risk/reward.



    Eric earned four birdies in the two rounds we played there, two on day one (including a pitch into the hole on a par three) and two more on day two.  He shot an 87 on his second round, improving his score by eight strokes from the first day.  He helped us stay close to Bruce and C.J. on the second day, but we finally relented 2 and 1 on the 17th hole, so it wasn’t a blowout. 
    Bruce played his steady tee to green game, scoring 84, 82 for his two scores.  He earned two birdies on the front nine on day two.  He scored seven fives on the back nine on day one, a feat I was able to best (not that I wanted to) on day two with eight total.
    C.J. continued his great play from his even par round of nine holes at Hidden Valley earlier this season and from what I had heard about how he played when they traveled to the Hideout Golf Course in Monticello.  Every time Eric and I turned around to see where his golf ball was going, it was going towards the green or the hole.  He and I were both able to beat Bruce’s score on the back nine by just one stroke with 43’s on day one, and C.J. shot an amazing 84 on day two.  He was literally looking at real estate before and after our second round, and he even spoke with a real estate agent and got his card.  He took home some literature as well.  Maybe C.J. and Lynne will move there someday, maybe someday soon.
    Despite Eric’s super score on his second round, we tied with our combined two day score.  He went 95, 87 for a 182 and I went 90, 92 for the same, playing some of the worst golf I’ve played yet this summer except for the forgettable 99 I shot at Hidden Valley.  With our handicaps, he definitely would have bested me.  Good thing he was on my side.  Good thing we went to Pinon Hills before we left; he figured something out.
    This journal is about remembering the positive things, though, so I will take away more than a couple of great memories. 
    First, I organized my first completely successful golf trip.  Eric and I stayed at my Aunt Sylvia’s while C.J. and Bruce stayed at Troy’s guest house.  The golf course was in incredible shape, and the four of us enjoyed it immensely.  I look forward to doing a repeat trip next year.  It was beautiful, challenging and fun, and I would like to make this an annual trip.
    Second, Eric and I did pretty well against the dynamic duo of Bruce and C.J.  We were quite respectable, but Bruce and C.J. played better, more steady golf to beat us handily both days.  On day one, Eric and I earned a bunch of points to get within one point on hole #13.  We were playing the Reverse Handicap Game with total scores and pushed points.  It was an exciting game, and Bruce commented on how he had to continue to score well even if his partner had already earned a good score since we were combining scores. 
    Third, I had the longest drive of the entire weekend on hole #13, the longest par five on the course.  Bruce and C.J. figured it went just over 360 yards.  Troy seemed mildly impressed when we talked about it at dinner that night at a brewery called The Horsefly.  I could not take advantage, though, and ended up with a bogey, but that’s kind of how it went for me.  I would have some huge drives, but not capitalize.

No comments: