Friday, July 12, 2013

Driving With Confidence

And now for my most recent birdie at Grand Lake...

Grand Lake Golf Course-Hole #17-Birdie #16 of 2013

    I don’t like to brag, but I am going to do it anyway.  I drove the ball better than I ever have in my life during this round.  Not all were fantastic.  I had some lame drives on #1 (past the fairway and in the rough), #2 (worst drive of the day, pulled well to the left), #5 (long, but on the wrong fairway), #6 (long, but in the rough on the right side) and #7 (too far right), but I had some incredibly long and accurate drives on holes #9, #10, #12, #13, #14, #15, #17 (this hole), and #18.  Putting those numbers in shows me that....

I must have figured something out and gotten very comfortable with my tee shots on the back.
    I had it figured out so well that this was by far the longest and best drive of the day.  This is a short par four with an elevated teeing ground.  My ball flew well above the trees on the right side, like a rainbow, with the slightest draw; it was high and beautiful and extremely long.  James made a comment about not believing what he was seeing with all of the long and accurate drives I was swinging.

Continued on 7-2-13.

    Guy and I had been checking the distances on some of my better drives, and with the GPS on the carts, it was very easy to do; it told us how far the ball was from the teeing ground.  Some of my drives were between 270 to 290 yards.  Thank you, Colorado mountain air.  This one was 300 yards.  I only had to pitch the ball sixty yards, where it landed, rolled to the left of the hole, and stopped at around 15 feet away.  The putt was mostly straight, but I aimed for the right side of the cup.  I wasn’t sure it would get to the hole after it left my putter, but it did.  I got my first birdie ever at Grand Lake on the second to the last hole.

    I am waiting for my turn at Advanced Eye Associates.  It’s been over two years since Danielle and I have had our eyes checked, and this will be the first time for me since I’ve had my brain surgery.  I am curious to find out if I’ll get reading glasses.  I am squinting more now than I ever have before when it comes to seeing and reading something close.  Getting older.
    I have two new birdies to report.  Eric and I played nine holes at Pinon Hills to help him get confident and ready for our trip to Montrose and Troy’s course, Cobble Creek.  He and I played the Reverse Handicap game since that’s what we were going to play when we were in Montrose.  I was able to beat Eric, and we did respectably well against Bruce and C.J.

Pinon Hills Golf Course-Hole #9-Birdie #17 of 2013

    I had already won the game we were playing by hole #8 (Eric struggled on some swings), but hole #9 was the hole I earned the first of my two most recent birdies.  With my newfound confidence in my driver after playing at Grand Lake, I cut the corner to get past the wash, something I would have never even attempted before, even just a few years ago. 
    That’s how it works above all with the driver for me: confidence.  If I’m loaded with confidence, I’ll swing huge, accurate drives over and over and over again.  It was a bomb of a drive, and I was well past the first wash and on the fairway.  I needed only my 7-iron for my lay-up, but I wasn’t sure after swinging it if my ball had ended up in one of the bunkers up on the left side.  When I arrived at my ball, though, I saw I had nothing to fear.  I was on the fairway with a little over 100 yards to go.  My approach wedge got the call, and with the wind blowing from right to left across the green, I purposely aimed into the wind.  It worked.  My ball rode against the wind, and was pushed closer and closer towards the hole.  It ended up less than fifteen feet away.  My putt was a bit downhill and would only break an inch or two to the left.  I read it and I rolled it and it went in.  Eric was impressed.  We high-fived my birdie on the most difficult hole at Pinon Hills.
    Then just for fun we practiced Eric’s putt repeatedly until he made it.  His putt was from the other side of the hole.  It was uphill, and it moved to the right.  He could consistently get his ball to catch the bottom of the hole without a problem, but it would lip out when that happened, so I tried it once, lucked out, and made it on my first attempt.  I knew that it had to go in slowly on the left side, so I aimed to the left and made a slower putt than what he was trying.  It worked, so I stopped.  I forced him to keep doing it until he made it, though.  It took about a dozen attempts, but he got it.

No comments: