Friday, July 5, 2013

Ultimate Frisbee and My Best Shot of the Summer...So Far

Written on 6-25-13.

    Daryl, James, Guy and I played at Grand Lake Golf Course this morning, and it was a blast!  I was hoping to play a different golf course this time, but it didn’t work out.  We wanted to play early enough to not miss out on afternoon family activities, and Grand Lake was the only golf course we could afford before any of the later twilight fees.
    I scored two birdies, and I believe those were the first birdies I have ever scored there.  I think we’re about to leave to go downtown, though, so I’ll record those later, along with some other funny and fun parts of our round together.

Until next time...

Written on 6-28-13.

    It’s my second birthday today!  Two years ago I had my brain surgery.  Now, I tell everyone who asks it’s as if nothing happened, but I know something did.  I am a changed and better person now.  My perspective on life was always fine, but now it’s even more appreciative.
    I am in Farmington.  We are here to watch...

James and his team in the 2nd annual Ultimate Frisbee tournament.  We so enjoy watching, and I wish it were a high school or a college sport.  It has many of the same elements that volleyball has.  Sometimes players have to go way up high to make a great play.  Sometimes they have to get way down low, just inches above the ground to keep it from hitting the ground.  Being athletic and fast is crucial, and teamwork will make the difference between winning and losing every time.  It’s also co-ed, so it reminds me of when we played in volleyball tournaments as the Griswolds years ago.
    I am bummed.  I thought I had earned two birdies at Grand Lake, but it was only one.  On #15, I thought it was a par five, but it was only a par four, an incredibly long and difficult par four, but a par four nonetheless.  It is the second most difficult hole according to the scorecard, and I can see why, so I am still proud of my four, but it was definitely not a birdie. 
    Before I write about the other birdie, though, I must include what I believe is the best shot I’ve had this summer...so far. 
    When Bruce and I played alone before my family left for Grand Lake, I had a tee shot that put me in a tough spot on hole #11.  It was short and right, so my ball ended up among the cottonwoods just past the ditch over there.
    My ball was in the rough, a lie that was mostly bumpy dirt.  I could see the green, but it was a view that was framed by two big tree trunks, and the opening between those trees was about thirty yards away.  The space between those trees was between fifteen to twenty feet.  I chose my 5-iron to keep it low, and I aimed more towards the tree on the right side knowing I might pull it between them.  It came out just the way I pictured.  The dirt exploded and the ball came out low, rising as it went through the gap.  It hit the green, but it was coming in fast, so it didn't hold.  My ball stopped just off the green on the left side, and the pin was in the front right position.  With all the break from left to right, I managed to get the ball to stop below the hole, but a little short.  I so wanted to make that putt after that approach, and it did go in!  I earned a par with a risk/reward 5-iron punch shot between the trees.

No comments: