Tuesday, July 30, 2013

James and His Magical Tee Shot on #17 at Grand Lake

Written on 7-19-13.

    C.J. and I played today and two days ago.  Bruce is out of town in San Diego, so it was just the two of us.  We had a wonderful time, and midway through our round two days ago I was reminded of summers when I was a child.  As we walked up #1 starting our second nine holes, I remembered the carefree feeling of summers long ago, playing games out in our front yard or our back yard, the smell of humidity and summer fragrances (green trees, fresh grass, fresh breezes) mixing and abounding.  I remembered playing in the gutters with sticks, homemade boats, or fabricated toy plastic boats in our sidewalk gutter gushing with water.  It had the smell of hot blacktop and quickly evaporating water.  It was that fun!  Ain’t summer grand?
    I earned two birdies during our first round, and then I earned two more today, but before I write about those, I wanted to get James’s “tee shot” on #17 at Grand Lake in here.  It was a highlight of the round, at least for me, but probably not for James.
    It looked to me like he was standing closer and closer to his golf ball near the end of the round, but that was not helping his swing; quite the opposite.  A few times before this tee shot, the heel of his club had come into contact with his ball causing it to shoot out hard and to the left, sometimes in close proximity with his left leg.  That’s what happened on this shot, but it was amplified.
    A group was on the green on hole #2, which was to the left and behind this teeing ground.  I don’t know how James did it, but...

it looked like his tee shot came out backwards and to the right behind him, heading for their green.  They were on the back side of the green, and I could see that his ball was headed towards the front, but I shouted, “Fore!” anyway. 
    So did Guy, but not as loud as I.  James shushed us both in the funny, sarcastic way that only James does, hoping that they would not notice us, his ball, or what had just happened.  We obeyed and said nothing else, and it worked.  They left without a clue, at least we thought they had no idea about what had just happened.  We’ll never know.  James hurriedly ran over and gathered his ball like an undercover agent. 
    We will also never know how James did what he did.  Just like he had commented on my drive (this was the same hole I had birdied with a huge drive, a drive that James said reminded him of the Tiger Woods GameCube game), I was in disbelief at his tee shot.  It defied physics.  How can anyone set up to a ball with every intention of having it go in a forward direction and at least staying in front of him or her, but have it instead go backwards and behind?  It was incredible!  James said it went to the left and behind him, not backwards, but I would really like to see a map of that hole to verify where the teeing ground was in relation to the #2 green.  Either way, we all had a great laugh together.
    *Okay, I just checked out the golf course on maps.google.com, and I was wrong.  The #2 green is definitely ahead of the teeing ground, so the ball could not have gone directly behind James.  It certainly went in a forward direction, but it looked like it went backwards from my point of view.

No comments: