Thursday, December 5, 2013

James Has a Rough Break...or Two and Two Birdies on #1

Written on 11-29-13.

    I am sitting in the Sundance Dental waiting room.  James is having his two front teeth temporarily crowned.  Geesh! 
    He’s had a rough break...or two.  He received a traffic citation for going through a red light in Aztec.  He looked down to change the heater setting, looked back up, and then the light changed.  He has a court date for when he returns over Christmas break.
    Then he fell on his face, or rather on his two front teeth, while ice skating in Durango the other day.  He chipped both of them, one halfway and the other at least a third.  The prognosis is...

good, however.  He more than likely did not damage the nerves.  His teeth should survive.  When he comes back for Christmas, they will replace the temporary crowns with beautiful, better-fitting and more permanent ones.  All will be fine.  Just like everything that looks like it’s going to be a terrible tragedy, we now like to say things could be worse; things could always be worse.  That fits in with Thanksgiving, and we have so many things to be thankful for.  Our cup overflows.

    Speaking of things to be thankful for, even the little things, I earned two birdies this month that have not been recorded yet, both on hole #1.  I am beginning to birdie this hole just about as regularly as I do #14.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #1-Birdie #38 of 2013

    I was playing alone.  With the harder ground, my drive drew heading towards the right side of the cottonwood, bounced forward and ended up well past it on the left side.  My approach with my approach wedge landed my ball just short of the green.  It was on a pretty rough-looking brown patch.  The hole was in the middle just to the left of the hill.  My putt from off the green worked out well.  My ball rolled up to the hill, slowed at the top, turned left and stopped three feet on the left side of the hole.  I made that putt, but the rest of the round did not go as well.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #1-Birdie #39 of 2013

    This birdie was similar to the previous one.  My drive ended up in nearly the same place.  I chunked my approach, though.  My ball ended up between the hills before the green, a collection area for many players’ golf balls.  I chose to pitch my ball from there, and that was the best shot.  I put my ball within three feet or so again, and I made the putt once more.  The hole was in the same place.

    C.J., Bruce, and I played the day before Thanksgiving, too.  We did our best to beat the Bogey Man at -2.  We got to -1.  I say “we,” but it was really mostly all Bruce.  He shot even par.  He duffed a putt on hole #13, but C.J. and I had already told him it was good.  We were in a hurry to stay ahead of a group anyway, and he would have made it if we were taking our time.  He is playing so well, and I continue to be impressed.

No comments: