Sunday, November 30, 2014

30th Excerpt From My Original Golf Diary on the 30th of November

    In this excerpt, I am about to go back to school after Christmas break, but here in the present I go back to school tomorrow after Thanksgiving break.  After this Thanksgiving, I recognize that I have much to be thankful for.  I am healthy after surviving strep as an adult again.  I also hurt my heel by jumping out of a tree over at the Edgerton's after the BIG dinner.  I thought I was a kid, so I was playing "tree tag" with the other "kids."  All is well now, though.  I am thankful for the time we got spend with our children, and we had the bonus surprise of having Emily stop by going both directions, the first time with a friend and the second time with Bev and Curt.  So, it reminded me of all the Thanksgivings we had celebrated in the past with the Lamberts.  Here's another look back in the past...    

Written on 12-25-01.
 

    This Christmas, I got...
another book.  It is Tiger Woods’ new book called How I Play Golf.  I am looking forward to picking it apart for more good information.  Tiger has been an inspiration to me also, and I can truly say that I am a fan.  He is the best!  If you want to get better, watch and learn from the best, right?  I also scored another birdie!  It was on Hole #3 at Hidden Valley.  I was playing with Eric again.  I am up to ten now and I did it all before 2002!  Phew!  I will type in the details of that one later as well.  I have four birdies to write about.  I can’t wait.  Tomorrow, we leave for Phoenix again.  I hurt my back lifting weights, but I will try to play.  Hopefully, I will get some more birdies, and not hurt my back any further in the process.  Until next time.  Merry Christmas! 

Written on 1-3-02.

    Today is the last day of Christmas Break.  It’s back to school tomorrow, but what a great break it’s been.  We went to Jessica’s in Phoenix for our Christmas trip this year, and for the first time in our eleven years of marriage didn’t go to my parents’ house.  It was a nice trip.  We went to see the Titanic Artifacts Exhibit, and it was something else.  It was Jessica’s gift to us four adults.  Amanda and Eric went, too.  They started by giving you a ticket that had an actual passenger’s name from the final tragic trip.  Then you went from the bell that actually rang when the iceberg was first sighted to these sights in order; it was very well set-up.  It started with how Titanic was designed and built, then on to the grand staircase.  Third, we were shown first-class accommodations, then second-class, and then third.  After that it was down to storage and the boiler room where the vibrations and the noise grew steadily larger and louder.  The second-to-last part showed what happened the night Titanic sank (which had an iceberg about six feet high and thirty feet long you could put your hand on to see how long you could withstand the cold), and some history of the people on the ship as well as a list of all the people on board divided into survivors and non-survivors.  I was first class, but didn’t survive, and neither did Eric, who was a crew member, but the girls did.  The last part showed the process of bringing these artifacts to the surface and restoring them. 
This exhibit really astounded us!  I found some of the stories we read about to be my favorite part.  One story told how a baby was tossed down to a lifeboat, and a lady ended up with it.  Later the biological mother found her daughter, but the first lady refused to give her up, saying she was hers.  The real mother had to get the captain of the ship to resolve the conflict.  Luckily she knew about a birthmark to identify her.
We also went to a Wild Life Zoo.  The children really enjoyed this.  The highlight was feeding parakeets cut-up apples.  They landed right on your hands to eat.  They landed on your head, too, as James found out.  Unfortunately, the bird mistook James for a bathroom.  James was a really good sport about it, though.   
    I felt sad and a little depressed to be away from my side of the family, but we had never gone to be just with Jessica.  It was the right thing to do, and I think she enjoyed our visit just as much as we did.

No comments: