Wednesday, December 24, 2014

It's a Different Kind of Christmas Eve

12-24-14

    Merry Christmas Eve.  I never know when the next time to write will come, but I do know I didn’t expect it to take this long.  I haven’t posted to my blog yet this month, but it’s been crazy busy at school.  We are heading home after a wonderful, but busy trip to Littleton, Lakewood, Colorado Springs, and back to Lakewood again.
    Once again, a road trip ends up being one of the better times to write, so here I go.  James is driving.  B is seated behind me.  Danielle is behind James, and I am in the passenger seat.  We are all in our new, loaded, slate gray Ford Escape.  Life is great! 
    It’s atypical to go to Mom and Dad’s before Christmas, but it’s all Mom and Dad’s fault.  Sort of.  Dad’s breathing attacks prevented them from traveling to Virginia to visit the VA Swopes in October, an annual trip.  Guy did his best to get a flight out in November to visit them instead, but it didn’t work out, so he ended up getting a flight with his family in December.  I guess I can blame Guy then for this trip, too.  Thanks, Mom, Dad, and Guy; it’s all your fault. 
    We drove straight to Joe’s new condo in Littleton on Saturday.  He treated us (and his latest girl Tammy) to a spectacular dinner at Ja Ja’s, a fancy French restaurant just down the street.  After dinner, we walked on an illuminated, cheerful downtown Littleton Main Street before getting some ice cream and hot chocolate on the way back to his place.  Yummy!  Joe’s new condo is…well, new.  It’s only four years old, and it’s gorgeous.  Our family instantly loved the place.  It’s a spacious two-bedroom, two and a half bath with luxurious dark wood floors throughout.  The guest room was a cluttered mess, but he promised to have that all cleaned up before our next visit.  We topped off the night with another “Generous Joe” Christmas. 
    We had our bigger family Christmas at Bev and Curt’s on Sunday.  Then we came back to Mom and Dad’s on Monday for the birthday celebration, a different celebration without my Aunt Theresa being there; it was just too much to have her come this time.  That night, Daryl, his now fiancé Katie, Erica, Erica’s friend Tiffany, Emily, James, Danielle and I saw the latest and final Hobbit movie on the Imax in 3-D.  Wow, what an expensive, yet immersive and fantastic movie experience that was.  The technology has reached a point that I didn’t forget about the 3-D this time, and everything looks and sounds incredible.  It didn’t hurt that the movie was very well done, and I felt it was a return to the better quality of the original three Lord of the Rings movies.  Bravo!
    James convinced me to go see Interstellar after that at the Bel Mar with Guy at 10:20.  Good grief, two lengthy movies in one evening.  Guy, Annmarie, and ShyShay had just returned from a dinner with their friends.  We made it minutes after it had begun.  This movie, although quite different from the Hobbit movie, was just as excellent.  James had given it a glowing review, so I had to check it out for myself, and it wasn’t hard to convince me to stay up later to see another movie with my only brother and only son.
    Last night, it was a mellow night with just Mom and Dad and the four of us.  Danielle wanted to go to downtown Denver first, so we did.  She was giddy as we drove and walked around.  She just loves the downtown experience.  It was enjoyable for the rest of us to just watch and listen to her react to everything we saw down there.  We got some coffee and checked out a few shops before heading home for pizza and one game of James’s Settlers of Catan, Belinda’s and Dad’s first time.

No comments: