Saturday, January 31, 2015

Happy Birthday to Me!

     Two days ago, I turned 48 years old.  Two days and twenty-five years ago, I started my teaching career.  Looking back, that was one of the best ways to start a career---happy birthday, here's a job that will be incredible and fulfilling, a journey for the ages.  At times, though, it has been equally as frustrating.  Rewarding for certain, but a time sucker if there ever was one.  I just spent another three hours in my classroom this morning (a typical amount of time spent each weekend), and that was after hosting my final parent-teacher conferences.  Conferences were preceded by a celebration of the 100th Day of School and my birthday celebration was tacked onto that.  A very generous parent and her daughter brought cake and punch for the class for my birthday that morning when I arrived at my door.  I love my job!  All the frustrations and time spent preparing on the weekends are worth it.  They are far outweighed by watching my students learn and grow.  Oh, and the free sugar.
     Today, Eric, Amanda, Belinda and I had dinner in Durango to celebrate our birthdays.  Eric just had his 49th birthday on the 26th, and the twins had their birthday on December 22nd.  It's an annual tradition that the four of us have held to go out for at least one birthday dinner, and sometimes we've gone out for two.  Eric plans on returning to golf, I hope, now that he has had his shoulder surgery.  I am also hoping that it all works out with the city of Aztec leasing the golf course.  We had a fabulous time together at Cuckoo's, one of Eric's and my favorite places to go after we used to go play golf at Hillcrest.  Hopefully we will go play there again as well.
     In other news, our family's favorite show, Parenthood, ended with the season's finale on Thursday.  We love that show, so it's very sad to all of us that it's now officially over.  We talked about it at dinner tonight, too, and I said that that show was one of the best contemporary television shows ever.  Goodbye, Parenthood.  You will be missed.  Catch you again when your reruns end up on Netflix.  That's it for this month.  I only posted three times, so I hope February, although shorter, will have my usual four posts.  
    

No comments: