Thursday, January 22, 2015

Hello, 2015! A Year of HUGE Changes

1-22-15

    Welcome to another year and another journal.  Belinda and I are on the cusp of new adventures, and I know that writing, especially writing in this journal will continue to be a part of it all.  She and I are retiring from public education after a combined 50+ years.  This is it.  The end is nigh.  Changes are coming, HUGE changes, and it’s a very exciting, yet stressful time. 
    So, what’s up with the golf now?  First, Hidden Valley is officially closed.  Bruce said in an e-mail they have boarded up the windows.  It’s done.  Over.  Might it start up again under new owners and new management?  Maybe.  Could it be completely redesigned and have lots for sale for home sites?  Possibly.  Will the city take it over?  There’s a chance.  Until any of those possibilities happen (or not), life and golf continue. 
    I saw the stark differences of not having our own home course anymore when C.J. and I played nine holes at Pinon Hills this past weekend on Monday, Martin Luther King Jr. Day.      First, I had to call ahead to get a tee time.  Second, I didn’t get the time I had hoped.  We wanted to play close to 11:00, and the earliest tee time was at 11:40.  Third, I chose to go pick up C.J. because his house is on the way to Pinon Hills.  No big deal; I certainly don’t mind.  Fourth, it takes longer (of course) to get there, about fifteen minutes longer.  I left my home at around ten ’til 11:00, and after a completely uninterrupted nine holes on the back nine (thanks to Dana who was working the pro shop), was back home close to 2:00.  I know that a full eighteen hole round would be easily a full five hour event, and that is if it’s not crowded.  If we were to play eighteen holes at Hidden Valley, it could be done in four hours, or maybe a bit more than that.  One of the nicest things about Hidden Valley, and one of the things I will miss the most is that it was close. 
    Next time I write, I’ll talk about the round with C.J., the first round of 2015.

Until next time…   

No comments: