Thursday, January 14, 2016

Ending Last Year With Even Par* For the First Time

Written on 12-24-15.

On to golf…

    Joe bought me some new Titleist ProV1 golf balls (two dozen) and some golf tees for Christmas.  Phew!  I was down to my last Bridgestone golf ball, but now I’m set for winter and spring golf. 
    This is how I shot even par* the last time I played…

Hole #10-8-iron to top of the green and a putt that went down the slope and moved left to right to stop even with the hole over on the left side.

Hole#11-Drive past the fairway and into some black and crunchy stuff on hole #9.  A PW approach that went past the green and just off the back.  Two putts from there to earn my par.

Hole #12-My tee shot went to the right side of the green, but it rolled off.  My chip with my SW barely got my ball on the green, but I was close enough to finish up with two more putts.  This was my first bogey.

Hole #13-My drive headed toward the...

bail-out area.  My pitch was just short of the green, but another SW chip got my ball really close (past the hole to the left but less than a foot away) to earn my par. 

Hole #14-C.J. earned an eagle here!  Wow!  His approach was a low screamer that drew up the fairway and headed right for the green.  I earned a birdie.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #14-Birdie #49 of 2015

    My drive was right up the middle, a real beauty.  I was a 7-iron away again, and my approach was really high, and it felt tremendous.  I knew it would be good, but when we got up to the green, one ball was right next to the hole and one ball was off the back.  C.J. and I wondered which ball belonged to whom.  I honestly thought mine would be the one near the hole.  My approach was higher than C.J.’s and it had the best possibility of landing high and trickling into the bowl.  C.J.’s had a lower ball flight, so I thought it could run past the hole and stop off the back.  I was wrong.  I used my putter, and my ball stopped just an inch away; I nearly earned an eagle like my buddy C.J.  He easily made his putt for his rare eagle!  We celebrated our conquering of this hole as we walked up to #15’s tee box.

Hole#15-My approach from the fairway went long and left.  The ball was slightly above my feet, but even with an adjustment, my ball still flew way left.  I pitched onto the green from there, but it was just barely on the green.  I almost made my putt for par, but it went just past the hole on the right side.  Despite the trampled area around the hole, I made my bogey for my second bogey.

Hole #16-My PW landed my ball on the green but past the hole.  I used two putts to finish with another par.

Hole #17-C.J. hit the tree and never fully recovered after that.  This hole kicked his tail.  My tee shot went through a hole in the branches on the top right side, narrowly avoiding a similar disaster.  I am attempting a new strategy for this hole sometimes now.  I use my utility club to go past the trees and hopefully get a clear view of the green instead of using my AW and landing my ball at the corner.  It worked really well this time.  I had an approach of just over 100 yards and a clear view of the flag.  I used my pitching wedge and landed my ball on the green, but it was past the hole and right next to the collar.  The first putt was a quick one that would break a foot or more from left to right.  I got it close enough to earn another par on what can be a blow-up hole, as C.J. proved on this day. 
Hole #18-This is the controversial birdie hole due to our leaf rule.  Here’s what happened…

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #18-Birdie #50 of 2015*


    I headed for the fairway on #3 this time.  It was a gorgeous drive, and it headed toward the exact same spot I had ended up the previous times I had played this hole, the little swale between the cart path and the fairway on #3.  I was so confident we would find it.  When we got there, however, no ball was in sight.  Finding this ball was imperative considering I was +1 up to this point.  I wasn’t really keeping track of my score, but I knew I was doing well, and I was also fairly certain I was close to setting a new personal record for myself.  We never found it, despite walking up and down and back and forth and searching in all sorts of places.  Some places had leaves, multiple leaves where a ball could get lost, and some areas had hardly any leaves at all. 
    Anyway, C.J. insisted I do the “leaf rule,” so I did.  I dropped where he and I both thought my ball should have been and I birdied in from there with a 7-iron approach that landed just short of the green, a putt that I put some more oomph into to get closer to the hole, and a putt that I would have been an incompetent idiot to miss.

No comments: