Thursday, December 28, 2017

Writing in a Construction Zone-Conclusion of the Reverse Handicap Game

Written on 11-28-17.

     Our house is a construction zone right now.  All of our tile has been shaved, scraped, destroyed, and removed.  It’s quite a sight to see, and it reminds me of when we first moved in here.  B is on her way home from work, and I just finished scanning in all of the pictures that she “stole” from the Edgertons for a surprise slideshow for A’s and B’s 50th birthday.

Back to the match…

Hole #10-We all tied with bogeys, but I really thought Bruce and C.J. would get pars.  C.J. was on the top of the green, and Bruce was just off on the left side, but pretty close to the hole.  I was way off on the left side, but my second chip got my ball close enough to salvage a bogey.  The next hole was now worth a bunch of points.

Hole #11-I drove my ball out to the bailout area, and I managed to pitch onto the green from there, but it kicked left off the hill that’s on the right side, so I had a longer putt for my birdie.  C.J. and Bruce got bogeys, but C.J. should have had a par.  I had a ton of...
pressure to make my short par putt, but I got it done, and I won a bunch of points, 36 to be exact.

Hole #12-We all got bogeys, so we pushed three points to the next hole.

Hole #13-C.J. got on the board and avoided a skunk.  He earned 14 points.

Hole #14-We pushed the points with pars, which is really good considering the difficulty of this hole.  C.J. got his by getting a bogey with a pop, so the next hole was now worth 32 points.  If Bruce could capitalize by winning that hole, he had a great chance of still being able to win the whole thing.  C.J., however, could not win at this point.  Even if he won the rest of the points, he could not match my 72 points.

Hole #15-I struggled to another double, and Bruce got a bogey, but C.J. kept all of the stink off of him by winning this hole and earning another 32 points.

Hole #16-I did not know where we stood, so I took a moment to add up our scores up to this moment.  It was Pat: 72, Bruce: 34, and C.J.: 46.  Only 17 points remained, so I was hoping I had figured it out correctly.  With only 17 points left, neither one could catch up to me.  Phew!  It was over.

Hole #17-Bruce earned his third birdie with a gorgeous tee shot to 12 feet.  He won 16 points, and those were the only ones he managed to get on the back.

Hole #18-We all got bogeys, but C.J. earned his with a pop again.  So, we all split that final point into thirds.  We also all agreed that there is no way that this hole should be worth only one point.  If we play this again, we should set up the points ourselves.

     It was a really fun match, and it helped that I managed to win the correct holes.  The final scores were Pat: 72, Bruce: 50, and C.J.: 46.  The final stroke play scores were Pat: 82, Bruce: 76!, and C.J.: 87.


Until next time…

No comments: