Wednesday, December 27, 2017

A Second Crack at the Reverse Handicap Game

Also written on 11-27-17.

On to golf…

     The last time we played was the 16th, and it was our usual threesome again.  I already wrote about the outcome, but here’s how it happened.  
     The weather has been uncharacteristically warm for November.  Today, it got up to 70 degrees, and C.J. asked if I could go play, but I turned him down due to the new flooring.  Bummer.  I should have gone, but we got a lot done, and it was good for Belinda and I to show a united front to the installers.  We also found more things that needed to be done before it all got started, like covering cupboards, moving little things out of rooms like chairs and end tables, and packing to go to A’s and E’s house for the next few nights.
     They asked me what I wanted to play that day, and I chose the Reverse Handicap Game again, because it was so fun and fair the last time.  Who would win this time?  It was close again, so here’s the hole by hole breakdown…

Hole #1-We all tied with pars.  C.J. really got a bogey, but he gets a pop on this long, difficult par four now.

Hole #2-I was the only one to get a par, so I avoided the skunk right away, earning the first 28 points.  I got a G.I.R. to earn the par, so that made it easier.

Hole #3-Bruce and C.J. tied with pars, but I was all over the place.  I couldn’t get off the tee box really well, I got stuck behind a tree, and I ended up with a double bogey.  Before we teed off on this hole, I reminded them that we need to come up with a Steal the Tee Box Game for next time.

Hole #4-C.J. and I tied with pars this time, so the points were pushed a second time.

Hole #5-Bruce almost pitched in for an eagle from the front of this green, so he earned a bunch of points with his birdie.  He avoided a skunk, also, and it was just before the “dead skunk bogey” hole from the last time we played this game.  Good timing, Bruce.  He earned 28 points, too, so we were tied.

Hole #6-I was given a gift from Bruce when he missed a short putt for par.  I got my par, though, by getting another G.I.R., so I won 10 more points.

Hole #7-Bruce backed up his first birdie with another one on this hole.  Due to its difficulty, it should have been worth more points, but it was only worth four.

Hole #8-Bruce won this hole, also, but with a par this time.  I triple-putted for a bogey, so he got two more points.  

Hole #9-Just like we had started, we all got pars, and C.J. earned his with a bogey and a pop.  We pushed the 18 points from this hole to the back nine.  

     I am going to get ready to go to TRX and the Edgerton’s now, so I will write about the back nine later.  At the conclusion of the front nine, though, the score was Pat: 38, Bruce: 34, and C.J.: 0.  Would C.J. get skunked, or would he get hot and win it all on the back?  Could I maintain my lead for the rest of the round, or would Bruce display his typical amazing play.  I’ll conclude this tonight or tomorrow.  


Until next time…

No comments: