Sunday, December 31, 2017

Final Post of 2017

Written on 12-27-17.

     I’m in our bedroom, reclining on our bed.  Pikachu is stretched out next to me, and, yes, she is still alive.  Recently, we took her to the vet, after nearly a decade.  We would not have gone, probably, but she had been attacked by a ‘dark as nighttime’ black, bully cat from the neighborhood.  Pika had a small wound on her back, right leg.  It cost us over $400.00 to repair the injury and get her caught up on all of her immunizations, but that high price alleviated much, if not all, of our guilt.  I had to bring her back for a leukemia booster shot three weeks later, and that cost us another $32.00, so my guilt is fully expunged.  The truth, however, is that I love that cat, and I am impressed with her survival skills. 
     It’s the day before my father’s 82nd birthday, and here at the end of December, we are also getting closer and closer to James leaving us to go back to Wellington.  It’s been a great visit, of course, but it will be January 2nd soon, and he will be heading home before we know it.  Belinda spontaneously invited the Moores and the Goldens over tonight for salad to see him and visit with all of us, but only the Moores can make it.  She invited Michelle, too, but she has to take care of her mother.  It will be wonderful to have the Moores to ourselves, though.
     I’ve seen The Last Jedi three times now, twice up in Lakewood and once more in Farmington.  We had to go that third time to take Craig and Kyle, of course.  James and Danielle came again, also.  On this third viewing, I really got it.  I understood it much better, and I enjoyed it more than ever.  Empire will remain my favorite, but this one really climbed the charts, in my mind, after this third viewing.  

     While exchanging some gifts in Farmington today, I saw many people I knew, but one really stood out to me, and that was Kendra (not her real name).  She was at Target with her daughter, and I was quickly reminded how people are still really hurting after our town’s shooting, and they will continue to hurt for a long time.  I offered our love, support, and prayers, and she was grateful.  She talked about her experience, and I gave her a second hug, but I could feel the pain and the dread pouring out of her.  Pain from the emotional fall-out of it all, and the dread of returning.  This has greatly affected her in ways she can’t even explain.

No comments: