Sunday, January 26, 2020

Eric and I Played at Torrey Pines More Than Ten Years Ago

     Because it's Eric's birthday today, and the pros are playing at Torrey Pines for the Farmers Insurance Open, I am posting this entry from over ten year ago...

Written on 6-18-09.

   Well, they do have wi-fi here at the Inn at Sunset Cliffs, but they have it for only half of the building.  Unfortunately, it’s on the half of the building that we aren’t in.  So, I am sitting in the room next to the office where the wi-fi is strong, the U.S. Open is on a big Gateway flat screen television, and it’s nice and quiet.  Except for the cars going by outside.  And the guy in the office talking on the phone. 
   This is our last night here.  What a trip so far!  We’ve done a bunch of touristy activities since we’ve been here.  Let me see if I can recap. 
   On Sunday, we left for Las Vegas.  We spent one night there at the Hilton.  Before we left for San Diego on Monday, we rode the ride called Insanity on the top of the Stratosphere.  James and Kyle went first.  It was expensive!   Wow!  For James, Kyle, Eric, Danielle, Rebecca, and I to go up to the top, and for James and Kyle to ride one ride, it cost $95.00.  It was $15.00 just for people to go up to the top.  To describe the ride, I’ll just copy and paste the explanation of it right off of the Stratosphere web site…

Insanity the Ride is a truly mind-bending experience! A massive mechanical arm extending out 64 feet over the edge of the Stratosphere Tower at a height of over 900 feet, Insanity will spin you and several other passengers in the open air at speeds of up to three 'G's. You'll be propelled up to an angle of 70 degrees, which will tilt your body into one position - facing straight down! If you're brave enough to keep your eyes open you'll be rewarded with a breathtaking view of historic downtown Las Vegas. Experience Insanity and walk away to tell the tale!

   James, Kyle, Rebecca, and I lived and walked away to tell the tale.  I didn’t mind the height so much, but the spinning was not so great for me.  I became dizzy enough to have my vision blur, so I wasn’t “rewarded with a breathtaking view of historic downtown Las Vegas.”  When it was 3-G spinning me around, it...
was more like a moving mixture of grays and whites and browns.  For some reason, all of the saliva left my mouth, too.  I had to constantly swallow in order to keep (or even get) just a bit of saliva in there.
   Late on Monday we arrived at the Inn at Sunset Cliffs.  On Tuesday morning, we all went to the beach first thing.  We had a blast, but the children had the most fun going out into the water.  James was very eager to go, and he was the first one in.  Poor New Mexico kids.  They don’t have big waves of salt water, waves that they can dive under or turn around and swim with, trying to get on top of them with their bodies.  They have Lake Powell, which is magnificent in its own right, but nothing like this!
   After the beach and lunch, we decided this was the day and this was the time to go play golf at Torrey Pines.  It was spontaneous decision to go play that afternoon, and I was thrilled that we were going!  Because we were going right away, as far as our stay in San Diego was concerned, the discussion about it would be over.  We would no longer have to worry about when we could fit it in with any of our other plans. 
   Eric forgot to bring the shorts that he had ironed just for playing golf, so he borrowed my brown shorts.  They were a bit too big for him, but he cinched them up with a belt.  At least he had a nice shirt.  I played with my black pants and red San Juan College shirt. 
   I had no idea what to expect when we got there.  Would we have to wait two hours like the guy on the phone for reservations had told me?  Which course would we play, the North or the South?  Was it the North or the South the pros played in last year’s U.S. Open?  Oh my goodness!  I forgot!  I was so nervous to play and so tired and wired from the traveling and the beach, that I thought it was the North.  Wasn’t it the North that cost $140.00/round; that must have been the pro side, right?  How would I play?  I got nervous thinking about what my performance might be like, but I did my best to put those thoughts out of my mind.  I would do my best like I always do.  I was so happy to be there!
   I was so happy and eager to get going, to find out when and where we would play, that I left Eric behind in the parking lot.  I walked through a “tunnel” next to the pro shop and saw a line (about ten people) on the balcony there at the starter’s booth/office.
   It was getting late, going on 2:00 or 2:30 in the afternoon, so I thought if we really have to wait two hours, we might not finish eighteen holes, and I really wanted to finish eighteen holes.  The lady who was a few people ahead of me in line said something like, “Well, that’s not what I was told on the phone, but…” and walked away.  Oh no, people were walking away disgusted!  Would we get to play? 
   When the guy behind the tinted starter’s window told me we could go out on the North right now, right behind the group that was teeing off at that moment below the balcony, I said yes.  I was too embarrassed to ask if that was the side the pros played.  I could hear his thoughts if I did ask him, “What an idiot!  Don’t you know which side the pros play?  Do you even know how to play golf? Get lost!  You can’t play here if you don’t know which side is which.”
   I paid my $180.00 for the two of us (Eric paid me for his half later), and I immediately knew that we were not playing the side the pros play since the price was so low, but I didn’t really care; we were able to get going right away at Torrey Pines, no two hour wait, and I felt warm with happiness.  We were about to play Torrey Pines!
   At first we were alone, but suddenly someone came over.  I asked if he was going to join us, and he said he was.  We introduced each other and I learned his name, Tom.  I later found out he was in sales.  He sells stuff for construction, and he said, with the economy as bad as it is now, sales are not so good. 
   Soon after meeting Tom, Jim came up in a cart.  He knew Tom.  They play together once a week.  They played match play.  Tom walked and wore pants.  Jim rode and wore shorts.  Eric overheard that Jim was also in sales, but I don’t know what kind.  I have his card.  I should look and find out. Okay, it says he is a marketing representative for a software company. 
   What really stands out for me about Jim is that he had really small feet for his size.  I felt comfortable enough to talk to him about this by eighteenth hole.  He is 6’ 1”, but his feet are a size 9!  He was also the better player of the two.  He was working, throughout the entire round, on his tee shots with his driver.  He had learned something from a lesson about keeping his weight more on his left side at the beginning of his drives in order to make sure he followed through all the way to his left side at the end of his drives.  He said it felt very strange to emphasize the left side at the beginning when using a driver.  He did leave a few shots out to the right by not coming all the way around (or through), but by the end of the round, he had it figured out and it was working really well.
   Eric and I did not play a game, at least not from the start.  We just played, happy to be playing, doing our best to adjust to a brand-new golf course.  Mostly, golf courses are all the same.   They all have teeing grounds, fairways, and greens.  Most have yardage markers, signs that tell about each hole, and flagsticks to show players where the holes are.  The holes are all the same size. 
   They are immensely different in other ways, though.  The types of grasses are different (more on that later).  The views and environments are different.  The air density and altitudes vary.  The difficulty varies from course to course, too, of course.
   After the front nine, Eric thought I had done better, but when I added it up the first time, I had added wrong.  I thought he had done better, but I actually won by just one stroke, my 50 to his 51.  We both had two snowmen, but I adjusted them to handicap sevens.
   Sadly, on the front, I had three pretty bad holes in a row.  Those holes turned out to be my three favorite holes, which made me a bit sad because when I play beautiful holes at beautiful golf courses, I want to play them beautifully.  Holes #5, #6, and #7 were my favorites.  They were the holes by the ocean.  I had a great drive on hole #5, but I messed up my approach by not checking and knowing the yardage.  Six shots later, two from two different bunkers, and I had my worst score of the day. 
   #6 was not as bad; I was just disappointed that I missed my par putt.  This was the downhill par three, the one Tom said was the signature hole for the North Course.  I chose my pitching wedge, but I pulled it a bit and missed the green on the left side.  It landed in the kukuya sp? grass, or as Jim called it, the ku”kill”ya grass.  My chip put my ball just above the hole, less than six feet away.  My putt grazed the hole on the right side, but I made the comeback putt for a bogey.
   #7 was okay.  I got a double.  I pushed my drive into the trees and bushes up on the hill on the right side there.  I hit a provisional, but this one was not much better.  It went along a similar line, but it was not as long.  Because it was shorter than my first drive, it was not in the bushes.  I hit my approach over the trees and short of the green.  From there, I got up and down for a six. 

Written on 6-20-09.

   I lost a ball on hole #11.  I felt my left knee buckle (just a bit) on my tee shot, so when I followed through I left my clubface wide open. 
   Tom said something like, “You hit that one right over the sh*%house,” which was true because a bathroom was ahead on the right side. 
   I walked all around the green just past the bathroom there while three other guys finished holing out, but I never found it.  I can’t stand that!  I should have hit a provisional, but I didn’t.  I never thought I would lose it.  It went right over the bathroom.  I would have loved to have gone back and started over, but after all of my looking around, my group was already up near the green.  Hole ruined, handicap seven written on the scorecard, I trudged over to #12.
   On #12, the guys in the group ahead of us were yelling back and forth about where one of their balls had ended up.  I should have stopped my routine.  It’s funny to me that when I’m playing with Bruce, or someone I know, I’ll stop and start over if something bothers me.  When I play with strangers like Tom and Jim, I don’t stop.  I worry that I’ll offend them by being such a picky player, or that they’ll be upset for slowing down play.  I should have stopped, though, because I hit a low hook/pull that was way short of the green.  A bad shot slows down play more than waiting to be ready to play my shot.
   Oh, one of guys in that group ahead of us had twisted his ankle way back on #7. I forgot about that until just now.  We were playing the downhill #6 par three, walking down towards the green when we saw one of the three guys rolling around on the grass just past the lady’s tees on #7.  I didn’t know what was wrong with him at first; I thought he might be rolling around on the ground with laughter.  When he stayed there, however, I knew it was something else, and I deduced it was a rolled ankle.  I was right.  We found out later that the other two were going to go ahead and go dancing without him later that night anyway.  Poor guy.  Rolled ankle and no dancing for him, abandoned by his friends.  Jim, who was three up in his match with Tom sighed more than a few times between shouting over the sound of the waves, “Does he need a ride?”
   He did.  This caused Jim to growl with his chin down, as if to stifle what would have been an even louder growl.  He was already upset with that group due to an earlier encounter on the driving range.  One of them kept shanking golf balls off the wall down at the far end, sending ball after ball rocketing all different directions across the other players practicing there.  He recommended that the guy move (although I bet he wanted him to just stop and leave altogether), but he didn’t, so Jim just abandoned all his range balls and left.
   After acting as the ambulance cart driver, he returned as we were finishing up on hole #7.  Tom was thrilled by this development.  He suggested that they had to start over on the back nine now that the match had been ruined on the front.  Jim wanted to continue where they had left off before he helped the rolled ankle guy, and just skip the hole that he had missed, but after a lengthy discussion, he agreed.  I thought Eric and I were competitive, but these two love to win as much as we do.
   Speaking of competitive Eric, I asked him if he wanted to play a game when we came to hole #14.  He thought I had beat him on the front, and like I had written earlier, I had, but just by one stroke.  He was killing me on the back nine, though, with his great start and my lost drive over Tom’s sh*#house, so I asked him if we should play a game with the holes that were left.  He agreed.  He recommended match play for us for the last four holes.  Sounded great to me!  I was sun and sea water exhausted, and I was finding it hard to focus, so a little competition with Eric was just what I needed to wake me up and get me to start playing better.
   I beat Eric with a bogey on #14.  My drive landed just under the branches of an overhanging tree, and I made a terrible tempo swing to punch the ball out from about 200 yards, but my ball ended up right next to the green.  On my practice swing, though, I knocked a pinecone off the tree with my follow through, so thinking back on it now I should have lost that hole with a penalty. 
   On the next hole, a short par four, I officially won with a bogey, so I was either one up or even with him at that point.  Then I won the next hole with a par.  I chose my 7-iron because the tee markers were near the front, the hole was downhill, and going long looked like it would be a bad mistake.  The flag was in the way back in the middle.  I put my ball on the front of the green where I was able to finish with only two putts.  Eric chose a 5-iron.  He pulled his ball long and left.  We think it hit the cart path, but either way, he never did find it.  Now I was either one up or two up.
   On the last hole, a par five, I went left with my drive (so did Jim), left with my lay-up (so did Jim), and left again with my third shot (and so did Jim!).  With fifty yards left, I made one of my best shots of the day, a pitch out of the ku”kill”ya grass that landed to the left of the hole and curved nicely to a spot just three feet above it.
   I won that hole too (and that sealed the match for me even if I did lose hole #14 with a penalty), but I was frustrated with my missed par putt.  It reminded me of the time I missed that birdie putt at Grand Lake with Guy and Curt, the birdie putt we needed to win our cooperative game together.  As I lined up that final par putt, we were talking about the greens.  Jim had told me earlier about how awful they get at the end of every day since the grass grows quickly and every footprint makes an indentation that can cause golf balls to go offline.  I didn’t see any on this last putt, but I missed it to the left anyway, unable to put it on the right line to get it to go in.
   That ended our eighteen holes at Torrey Pines, the same golf course, but the North Course and not the South Course where Tiger won his U.S. Open by fighting off a failing left knee and a stubborn Rocco Mediate in a nineteen hole play-off almost exactly a year ago.
   We shook hands with Tom and Jim.  I got their contact information, so I could get in touch with them later for my article for the fall issue of Four Corners Golf Magazine.  We could not have found two better hosts to play with for our first time there.  They were polite, competitive with each other, and very helpful.  If we had played the South, we would have never met them, so I’m glad we played the North. 
   Eric then took some pictures of me near the pro shop, and I took some of him.  A family of golfers asked us to take their pictures, too.  This was a special place.  Taking pictures to commemorate the experience was an important part.
   Back at the Inn at Seaside Cliffs, Eric and I played some putting games on the long rectangular strip of a practice green (approximately eighty feet by five feet) that was sandwiched nicely between the pool where our kids played and the view of the Pacific Ocean, just an ocean-rusted staircase and a small beach away.  This green had a worn-out turf with some various tiny black tufts where chunks of it had been taken out.  The turf was worn and paper thin, so it was comparable to putting on a sidewalk covered with only fuzzy construction paper.  It had six holes, two at each end and two in the middle, all slightly staggered from their buddy holes.
   Eric and I had some great matches on this homely putting green.  First, he beat me in stroke play.  He beat me by three strokes.  Then I beat him.  We played the same Stableford game that I had played with Bruce.  I won handsomely, beating him by nineteen points!
   It was during this match that I had my most incredible putt.  With the ocean to my back, I had to putt around the hole on the right side in the middle of the green and get it to go in the hole at the far end on the same side.  I could either go to the right of the hole in the middle and try to make it, or I could go to the left, try for the right speed and “lay-up” for a two.  I chose to go for it, but my ball actually went fast enough to go right over the top of that hole in the middle.  It had enough speed on it that it just went right over the top of the hole as if it wasn’t even there.  Then it curved gently to the left, straightened out for the last foot or so and fell in. 
   We played this match when Connie came to visit us for a one-night stay.  Connie was Belinda’s Aunt Kay’s partner, and she is a treat to be around.  Sadly, Kay died of breast cancer this past February, so Connie is like a widow, or widower, depending on your point of view.  Either way, she’s very much alone without her partner now.  We were so glad she got to come spend time with us.  We had barbecued hamburgers (cooked on an incredibly worn out gas grill with one knob that wouldn’t even turn since it was stripped out), some chicken, Ruffle Chips and Tostitos with guacamole and salsa, coleslaw, and grapes.  What a pleasant dinner with pleasant company in unbelievably beautiful surroundings.
   On our very last night, Eric and I played two more matches.  First, we played stroke play again.  He beat me again, but this time by only two strokes.  Then we played escalating skins for our final nine holes (it was getting dark) with the last hole worth 100,000.00, and it came down to the last hole.  He had $150,000.00.  I had $130,000.00.  The last hole was worth $180,000.00.  I really thought I had it, but Eric made the putt of the night, really the putt of the entire vacation in my opinion, to push the money one more hole where his two putts beat my three putts for the remainder of the money. 
   I had already finished with two putts to the hole in the middle on the side the pool was on.  When Eric attempted his first putt, he put too much speed on it.  It looked like it would go off the green, but it settled precariously on the gap between the green and the crusty black rubber trim.  In order to get his two, he had to play it off this tiny crack of a position.  His ball could have gone anywhere!  Even if he putted out of the tiny little divot his ball was in, he had no control over which direction it would go, and he still had about three feet of green to go across to get it in the hole. 
   I told B to get ready to do a little victory dance.  Eric had already made two long putts during our little competition, so both times he did, Amanda got up and did a little dance.  She made us laugh both times.  She would stick her arms out, pretend to start a cheer, stick her bottom out, wiggle it around, and then sit down again.  Very out of character for Amanda, and I think that’s what made it so funny to us. 
-->    Sadly, I never got to see Belinda dance.  Eric made the putt, somehow getting it to go right into the middle of the hole.  Amazing!  He deserved to win, and we all got to see Amanda do one last dance.

No comments: