Sunday, February 23, 2020

Short Game Practice: A Mix of Frustration and Success

Written on 1-23-2020.

I had a day off today, and I practiced a lot of short game.  I did my travel reimbursement for my trip to Jemez Valley, and then I was free to do something for me.  I went to Pinon Hills before I took Kody to Jill’s to get a trim, a washing, and a nail trim at 3:30.  
I went to the putting green first, and I worked on my putting stroke.  I played 18 holes on an improvised putting course, and I earned +1 for the first nine and I got it to even on the second nine.  I mixed up the holes, so some were tough and others were fairly easy.
Next, I went down to the range to work on some chipping on the practice green down there, but I ended up working on sand saves.  This proved more difficult.  I set a goal to try and get 3/3 out of the sand and onto the green.  Then I had to adjust and try to get just 3/4.  I had two common errors.  I would either catch the ball with very little sand and send it over the green by about 30 to 50 yards.  That was no good.  Or, I would take too much sand and my golf ball would barely make it out of the bunker, or worse, stay in it.  Also, no good.
I learned that it was easier to be more accurate than to just blast away.  If I took an easier, more flowing swing and hit right behind the ball instead of trying to blast it out, I had more success.  It was frustrating.
I had much more success after I dropped off Kody at Jill’s.  While I waited, I went down to the park on the other side of neighbor John’s house, and I worked on my chipping, pitching, and flop shots.  I brought a black reusable shopping bag and four golf balls, and I worked on chipping first.  I used the bag for my target.  I opened up my stance and chopped down on each ball while keeping my head steady, and I had great consistency.  I try some pithing into the playground area, and I was consistent with that, too.  I flopped one golf ball into the trash container (it was empty), and I hit the sign directly behind it multiple times, too.  I also had success with flop shots over the playground equipment.  It was fun!  I am fasting today, so all of that practice kept my mind off of my empty stomach.  
Now I am back in the computer room, and it’s back to practicing with the putter indoors.  I just hit my putter head cover “target” four times in a row.  I look forward to even better weather, so I can practice full swings.
I’m super motivated to get better this year.  There’s more of an urgency, and I can’t explain why.  Maybe it’s because I am about to turn 53.  Maybe it’s because of the stroke.  Either way, I am practicing more than ever before.  

Until next time…

No comments: