Thursday, February 27, 2020

Super Bowl Sunday and a Clutch Webb Simpson

Written on 02-02-2020.

I’m using my wireless keyboard as I type, and I am watching the Waste Management Open on my larger computer monitor.  It’s a Sunday in the Swope house, and Matt and Danielle (well, mostly Matt) just completed the flagstone steps down to the Alto.  He framed them in with some of the river rock we’ve had behind our house for years, and he used some concrete today (warm weather with a high of 55 helped) to make them solid.  What a fabulous addition to our home.  It’s Super Bowl Sunday, and we will be going to the Edgerton’s soon.  B just went to her school to gather some butcher paper for some project she is working on, and she just gave me an overdue haircut.

On to golf…

I played at Civitan on Thursday and Pinon Hills on Friday.  I had some time after visiting my Project Alpine people on Thursday, and Civitan was on my way home after visiting Kirtland Central High School.  The weather was miserable.  The three gentlemen in the pro shop were surprised I was going out to play.  No one else was on the course.  I told them I could only putt indoors and make slow-motion swings so much.  I really wanted to play, and the weather really wasn’t so bad.  
Some holes were better protected from the wind, like #2 and #3, and it was comfortable.  The rest were mostly exposed, like the green on #4 and all of #8, and it was uncomfortable.  But, I had my earmuffs, and that really helped. 
On Civitan, I started out making bogeys.  In fact, I only had one par on #3, and that was after my tee shot clipped the tree that hangs over the fairway.  Somehow, my golf ball continued on and found the green.  Sadly, #9 was closed due to ice.  
I figured things out, and I started making pars, though, on my second time around.  On the first eight, I would miss the green and need three more shots to finish.  On the “back,” when I missed greens, I was able to get up and in for pars.  I hit only two greens, but I managed five pars out of eight.  Not bad.  Glad I played better for the second eight holes.
At Pinon Hills, I got three bogeys on the back nine (I played the back first), so I decided if I could get ten bogeys for the round, that would be satisfactory.  Once again, it was really cold and breezy.  I had my earmuffs again, but I only used them when it got super windy. 
I got a bogey on #1 with no problem.  Then I got two more on #3 and #4. On #5, I earned my only par by hitting the green after taking a free drop from one of the grass bunkers that line the right side of the fairway.  My ball was resting on the drain right at the bottom.  
Tony Finau and Webb Simpson are in a play-off to decide the winner of the Waste Management Open now.  They are about to tee off on #18. 
I decided that a par was worth two bogeys.  I was just making it up as I went along.  I only needed two more bogeys to reach my goal.  I got another bogey on #6, and I was proud of that one.  My tee shot went left into a tough lie, but I gouged it out to a spot just off the green, and I nearly holed the long putt for par.  
I was on the green in three shots, and I only needed to two putts, but I put way too much speed on the first putt, and it rolled past the hole by fifteen feet.  I wasn’t able to get a birdie, a par, or a bogey on the last two holes, so I missed by goal by one bogey.  Still, not bad.  I was pleased with how I played, and with how I got better as I went along.
Webb Simpson just buried another birdie putt on #18 to steal away the win from Tony Finau.  He made three birdies in a row to win!  Cool.  
Okay, we are off to watch the Super Bowl.

Until next time…

No comments: