Friday, April 28, 2023

14th Excerpt From My Original Golf Diary-Part 2

        This post was from just over 20 years ago when we got a new pro at Hidden Valley. Now, Hidden Valley is closed down.  I have heard rumors it might open again, but they are just rumors.

Written on 3-10-03.

        I got to play yesterday with the new head pro at Hidden Valley.  His name is Gerry, but I am not sure if that is how you really spell his name.  His brother works at the Aztec Car Care and Tire Center for Eric.  His brother’s name is Kerry, so I am assuming it is spelled the same way because there are a couple of other brothers with names that rhyme in their family (it's actually Gary).  He is very nice, and I hope he does a good job with/at Hidden Valley.  

        I played hot and cold for eighteen holes.  A nice bonus is that we got to play for free because I am volunteering to help with the high school golf team sometimes.  The weather was very warm for March, in the sixties.  The bad holes were either double pars or double bogeys, but the good holes were pars or just plain bogeys.  I got five pars and four bogeys.  I scored 100. The course is not in great shape.  Gerry said he was going to go around with spray paint and markers the next day to mark the greens and all of the ground under repair.

My two best pars came on #16 and #17.  On the par three 16th, I hit a smooth 9-iron just the way I had pictured it.  It went high and it flew right over the tree and landed just beyond the hole.  I missed the birdie putt by rolling it over the edge on the right side.  It then broke for one foot right behind the hole, so when I looked up I thought it had gone right over the hole.  Gerry said it was a great swing on my tee shot.

On #17, I hit a great tee shot with my 4-iron to about 126 yards out.  I had a bad lie, and it was uphill, so I used my 9-iron.  I hit this shot to the left of the green, which was really a safe miss.  It’s hard to get up and down from the right side with the traps there.  I chipped on, but left myself with a big breaking downhill putt.  I picked out the right spot, though, and it rolled in from about fifteen feet for two pars in a row.  I was scoring better than the new pro on some of these holes!  On #13, I got one of my other pars, and on the next par five, the toilet bowl, I hit a great drive with my 3-wood.  Once again, I got a very nice compliment from Gerry.  He said it was a great stroke!  He said the club stayed down and there was no way I was going to hit it anywhere but straight and long.  I really needed to hear that after screwing up so badly on some of the other holes.  Spring is coming and I can’t wait until summer.  I am going to practice longer and harder than I ever have so far.

I am also looking very forward to spring break with Guy.  I am flying out on Saturday to go spend three days with him.  We are planning on playing golf every day.  Hope the weather cooperates.  


Until next time… 

No comments: